Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do you shop? >
  • How do you shop?

• How do you shop?

Old 08-04-2019, 01:25 PM

Never buy fabric without project in mind but i always buy plenty of extra that results in a stash. Just don’t ask how many projects are in my house.
    Old 08-04-2019, 03:52 PM
    Power Poster

My daughter and I went to Hancock's a few years ago. I bought some yardage and lots of big backings and tons of good sized remnants. I am still using it. I buy what I like and think I can use in the future. I spent about $500.00 - 600.00. I will probably never get back there as I am no good at directions. I even confuse my GPS.
    Old 08-04-2019, 05:02 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    I have come to realize that the quilt shop is the best way to store most of my fabric.
    I am like that! I see all the beautiful fabrics and I think they are happy living at the shop. If I want something, there it is. I don't have a real stash. No yardage. Just a lot of scraps, some fat quarters I have won on Fat Quarter Fridays, and some remnants I got a long time ago, but, won't buy any more. I am a sucker for a gizmo, though, and I have a lot of vintage machines.
    Old 08-04-2019, 05:44 PM

Oh, Terry--I did the same thing at Hancock's of Paducah! My only saving grace was that my DH was waiting at the nearby McDonald's reading and writing and I worried that he would wonder if I'd been abducted if I stayed too long! So I hit the sale tables and also bought some "to die for" fabrics that I hadn't seen at home. When I go with nothing really in mind, I usually get 2yds.
    One place that I now know not to go to without a list is Missouri Star--my credit card would melt from all the sliding otherwise!
    Old 08-04-2019, 07:32 PM

I love Handcocks it's just up the road 20 miles or so, so I can go any time, and I spend too much every time! LOL the people who work there are so nice I told Mr. Handcock I could never work for him as I have bad hair days. I hit the remnants table first, I get 4 yards of every I like and 5 yards if I love it. I do not have a huge stash but enough to make any thing I want.
    Old 08-05-2019, 02:26 AM

Recently moved to De where choices are very limited. Joann's is 30 miles away and local QS is closing which means only one left in the area abt 20 miles away. So recently we bought a second home in MD on the Bay and kept passing a shop and I finally stopped in last wk. I don't need more fabric but always like to find new possibilities. This shop has been in business for 50 yrs operated by original owners in a devastated area of De. I just felt the need to support the shop and ended up with Landscape fabrics since I'm currently doing small art quilts. They had some unique fabrics in that theme I've never seen before so it was worth the buy. I'm happy now to be able to stop and support that shop whenever we go bk/forth to our second home.
    Old 08-05-2019, 03:28 AM

When I travel, I visit the quilt shops. I usually buy in 3 yard increments. Then I go to the local Fed Ex store and ship all my fabric and notions home, so I don't have to lug the weight around, or pay for extra luggage on the flight home.
    If I travel internationally, I stuff my luggage and carry on as much as I can. Don't want the postal service and customs to lose my new stash.
    Old 08-05-2019, 03:56 AM

I'm an on-line buyer (sorry brink and mortar stores) and buy mostly end lots. I do this because of where I live and would be scared to death to go to a store as huge as Handcock's with my credit card. The register receipt would be long enough to trail out of my car all the way home! Besides, in the process now of downsizing my stash so I can work on more Project Linus quilts.....I'm 67 and will never use it all up!!
    Old 08-05-2019, 10:41 AM

I've been quilting for over 40 years and have the stash to prove it! About 10 years ago I started making only smaller projects and was happy to discover that by only buying half or quarter yards I can increase the variety in my stash. I've gotten to know which styles of fabric I'll use more of so I'll buy more of them.

I've learned over the years to take note of trends and colors as they run in cycles. I try to avoid too trendy fabrics, but collect unusual colors because I do a lot of applique. I do have one rule that's saved me a lot of money, I use the same criteria for clearance fabrics as I do for regular priced fabrics. Just because it's cheap is no reason to buy something you don't love or need.
    Old 08-05-2019, 12:55 PM

I went on a multi state, multi province road trip this May/June. I stopped in many quilt shops along the way.

I had a total budget, but I did not have a plan.

I bought in each shop, generally something I had not seen before. Some were whimsical prints, I collect wine prints. At Quilter's Fix in Sheridan WY, I bought 2 yards of a beautiful print. When I was at a workshop in SK, Canada, I found that it was the perfect print for my project. When I brought it out the other quilters had fabric envy and we soon discovered that Haus Of Stitches in Humboldt had it and it sold out quickly.

The most I bought of any fabric was about 6 yards. I finished several bolts along the way.