Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do you sort and store your scraps >
  • How do you sort and store your scraps

• How do you sort and store your scraps

Old 05-08-2011, 06:06 PM

I found I never used my scraps and they were getting all wrinkled and needed hours of pressing to be used. One day, I planned several projects and cut all 3 boxes of scraps into drunkard's path (templates) and preassigned squares, rectangles and strips. I now have a much SMALLER container for scraps. When it fills or if it has been a year, I cut all the scraps up. When I housesit for my sister and BIL, I take one of the boxes (with preplanned pattern) and a background fabric (if needed) and make the quilt top.

My system works for me, but it is by no means the only way or even the best way. It does work pretty well for someone who is a novelty addict. :lol:

Currently, I cut scraps into 4 inch Drunkard's Path, 2 7/8 squares (or triangles), 2.5 inch squares, 2 inch squares, 2 inch strips, 2.5 inch strips, 1.5 inch strips. I also cut novelties and brights into 5 inch hexagons and 3 inch squares for a future kid's quilt. I should add that I have a good sized box filled with 4-6 inch squares for applique, so no need to save anything for that (which used to be my excuse for not cutting into scraps!).

The quilt below resulted from this new system. Sits on my Mom and Dad's bed most of the time.
    [IMG]http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL252.../147468413.jpg[/IMG]
    Old 05-08-2011, 07:59 PM

no sorting I just throw into a drawer and make a scrappy when it gets full.
    Old 05-08-2011, 09:37 PM

Unfortunately, mine are just thrown in totes..
    Originally Posted by thrums
    Now that it's spring the guilt is gone for the tiny strips I usually throw away. Now I put them out for the birds to make nests.

I have been trying to think of a logical way to sort and store my leftover fabric pieces after cutting. I tried a craftbox, but it was too limiting.

With 2 inches being my smallest width, I find that I have various shapes and lengths of scraps. How do you store your scraps?
    Old 05-08-2011, 10:55 PM

by colour in clear plastic bags I have saved , you know the ones that come through the mail.It all helps with recycling .
    Old 05-09-2011, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by WinSumLsSm
    I have 9 totes of scraps sorted by color.
    Ok, your stash is just too intriguing! What "fabric board" maker did you use, or did you cut your own? Do you like it/ if not what would you do differently? I am just about to jump into fabric organizing my stash in a big way; when school is out. Thanks
    Old 05-09-2011, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by WinSumLsSm
    Ok here is how I used to do it as of 1 second ago...

I have 9 totes of scraps sorted by color....

I am now going to take those totes and cut into strips and squares... I should be done... oh about Christmas time
    Holy Cow! :shock:
    Old 05-09-2011, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by IAmCatOwned
    I found I never used my scraps and they were getting all wrinkled and needed hours of pressing to be used. One day, I planned several projects and cut all 3 boxes of scraps into drunkard's path (templates) and preassigned squares, rectangles and strips. I now have a much SMALLER container for scraps. When it fills or if it has been a year, I cut all the scraps up. When I housesit for my sister and BIL, I take one of the boxes (with preplanned pattern) and a background fabric (if needed) and make the quilt top.

My system works for me, but it is by no means the only way or even the best way. It does work pretty well for someone who is a novelty addict. :lol:

Currently, I cut scraps into 4 inch Drunkard's Path, 2 7/8 squares (or triangles), 2.5 inch squares, 2 inch squares, 2 inch strips, 2.5 inch strips, 1.5 inch strips. I also cut novelties and brights into 5 inch hexagons and 3 inch squares for a future kid's quilt. I should add that I have a good sized box filled with 4-6 inch squares for applique, so no need to save anything for that (which used to be my excuse for not cutting into scraps!).

The quilt below resulted from this new system. Sits on my Mom and Dad's bed most of the time.
    [IMG]http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL252.../147468413.jpg[/IMG]
    I like your idea of a time line. Create a project with them and if I don't use them up, then I can pass them on. I'll use my birthday as the review date.

Thanks!
    Old 05-09-2011, 10:52 AM

I have a large bin for scraps and it is overflowing. I suppose I should either make a scrappy, or at least sort out the bigger pices so I have room in the bin
    Old 05-09-2011, 11:07 AM

Hang a Walmart bag on the closet door and add until it is full, then add bag to tote. I keep thinking about organization, but have trouble finding the time. I'll be moving all my quilting stuff to my new shed sometime in the next few months, so that is when I will have to do something with my stash and my scraps.
    Old 05-09-2011, 08:07 PM

I put my scraps all together in one container.