Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How Do You Stay Focused? >
  • How Do You Stay Focused?

• How Do You Stay Focused?

Old 06-20-2011, 06:47 AM

I like enjoying the outside as here in Minnesota we don't have a long warm season. I do hand quilt outside in my screen tent amongst the garden, flowers, birds etc. I sew inside during the rainy days.
    Old 06-20-2011, 06:50 AM

I do what I want to do most. Sometimes it's sewing, sometimes not. It's all about priorities.
    Old 06-20-2011, 06:53 AM

I am like maryp, and try to get all of the "must do" chores done before noon. My afternoons are devoted to quilting. I rather schedule my time as if I was working though I am retired. Of course, it cannot always be this way but it seems to work the majority of time. I must discipline myself not to spend too many hours at one time quilting due to back spasms. I start the day by reading the paper ... then by noon and after any chores requiring running around in the car, I am always ready to retreat from the world into my quilting room. I have three dogs who are ready for naps by then and love to sleep near me while I quilt. I make quilts for my son and daughter-in-law who live in another state ... so afternoon quilting is a soothing and loving event for me. I think we all search for a way for balance and peace.
    Old 06-20-2011, 06:56 AM

Me too. My quilting time is a treat... I can't really focus until my other responsibilities are covered and I've gotten things lined up ..

But its' my hobby, so in this one area of my life - I'm not goal driven...

I find the journey to the end result of the quilt as much fun as the planning, shopping, cutting etc.... And I relish all of it as the treat it is.

:)
    Old 06-20-2011, 08:16 AM

I try to keep a "go" project in a small container ready to grab for such times. Easy to do while sitting on the porch, riding in the car, waiting in Dr's offices, etc.

That way, I feel I'm accomplishing something but I'm still able to enjoy my alternate-area choice.
    Old 06-20-2011, 08:16 AM

Darn! The "send" was so delayed I clicked it twice. (excuse the space)
    Old 06-20-2011, 08:22 AM

Years ago (25+) I quit smoking and took up hand sewing to replace the nervous habit it left behind. Since a child I always found sewing to be relaxing and an avenue for my creative side. Though most of the past 25 years I concentrated on our girls clothing needs (formals/dresses/costumes/wedding gown) I also made my own stuffed animal patterns using old coats & clothing. I then took up Quilting about 6 years ago and found it very addictive too but sewing in any form is so much better for my health.
    As for finding time and being focused - when I get into my sewing mood my DH (who is now is retired) knows the signs and works around me. I still work 4 days a week and we do the occasional craft show to help pay for my addiction and a few fun vacations. So in our house, its a win-win situation. He now takes care of things around the house, does most of the cooking/laundry/cleaning, we do craft shows together, camp, hike and travel alot. I bring my hand sewing and sewing machine with me and while DH loves watching TV & Legos, I love to sew. This allows me time to play, think and be with DH - be it in our RV, the motel or on the deck in our backyard.
    So to wrap this up a bit, I think focus is based on what your heart wants - want it bad enough you will find the means to make it happen. Look around, see what makes your heart tick a bit faster and see how you can make it happen. Focusing is up to you.
    Old 06-20-2011, 08:40 AM

Focused, I think I work on 4 or 5 different things a day. If I'm not in a hurry to get one done, I work on something, and then I'm thinking of something else. So I'm never focused, but am always sewing. House cleaning, dinner, that all comes second, and it's to hot down here to be outside any longer than just getting the mail. So my nice sewing room, which is nice and cool, blinds opento watch the one huge tree we have that gives the house shade all day. So I can be in my little room with no problems.
    Old 06-20-2011, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting
    I work 40 hours a week plus 10 hours of driving time. not alot of time left so I must be organized, not rushed and left in peace when I am sewing. I am fortunate the my DH knows this and cooks and cleans and supports my habit fully.
    I too have this same schedule, working full time with a 10 hour commute weekly. I have been fighting doldrums but, I think things are getting better.

I have many projects going at one time, sorted and in different stages.
    Wish I could be this focused.

Right now I have a log cabin quilt top on my design wall for 2 weeks and I am studying it every day to decide what to do for a border. While I doing this I have another that I'm piecing and one on the LAM being quilted in stages.

It's all oganization! And if you can't do that just concentrate on one quilt start to finish.

I also dedicate at least 1 hour a day to sewing and don't give it up for anything but emergencies.
    peace :D
    Old 06-20-2011, 09:12 AM

Just relax & give yourself a break. Obviously there is nothing pushing you. I also feel better if I have some chores done first (or not).
    I get sidetracked so easily if the weather is good. Just let life take you along. Enjoy the nice weather since, when winter comes again, you can always hit the sewing mach.