Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do you stay focused? >
  • How do you stay focused?

• How do you stay focused?

Old 12-21-2010, 05:25 PM

I started listening to audio books! I love them and have listened to several. It totally keeps me focused! I use my Iphone and have finished The girl with the Dragon Tatoo series!
    I need to get to the library for something else!
    Old 12-21-2010, 05:27 PM

Ditto Dotsie!
    Old 12-21-2010, 07:22 PM

If you find out please let me know, i have the same problem, can't sit still for too long
    Old 12-21-2010, 08:12 PM

Hi - just noticed you are from Evergreen, LA. I was born in Bunkie, lived in Bay Hills and went to school a few years in Evergreen. Was a snowflake in a Christmas pageant. My mom went to high school in Evergreen. Small world, eh? Don't know your age, but wondering if you knew any Hardy's or Cox's from many years ago?
    Old 12-21-2010, 08:12 PM

My trick to staying on task is to set a timer.. No matter what I'm doing, I set the silly timer.. If I'm working, I know I'll only be working for 30 mintues, or 45, whatever YOU decide.. and then I can do something else.. I generally work as hard as I can go for those 30 mintues and then set the timer again for an hour and have fun.. When that hour is up, I'll do another 30 minutes of work.. I really try to focus on only the most important thing I have to do first.. and finish one thing at a time. It really works, give it a try! That way you don't spend your whole day working, and you don't find yourself at the end of the day with nothing accomplished.. You get both.. fun and work, in any combination you choose!
    Old 12-21-2010, 08:24 PM

I had a talk with myself a few years ago. I had to decide what is important to me. So I ask myself frequently- is this the most important thing for me to be doing right now? If it is not, I don't do it, because I will never get it done if it is not important (to me).

I have a really good couple of paragraphs that I got from the Daily Word which comes in my email box every day. I will send it on to anyone who wants a copy- it is not overly religious, just has some affirmations in it.

I have had a terrible problem with procrastination in the past and still jump around a lot and tend to want to start new things all the time.

I also made a pact with myself to finish one WIP before I start a new one. This does not diminish the number of WIPS and UFOS, but it does kind of keep them from building up any further.

I hope this is helpful to someone! :P :D :lol: Another thing is don't be too hard on yourself and have fun!!!
    Old 12-21-2010, 08:55 PM

Oh, and I usually have things that I want to do for others, i.e. afghans for my kids for christmas, baby quilt for neighbor BEFORE the baby gets here, wedding quilt for bff...sometimes those projects can be your metronome. At the moment, I'm only working on my 'me' project off and on, when I have time for it and in the evenings (and when I can buy quilting thread!)
    Old 12-21-2010, 09:00 PM

Lived here for 32 years (all my married life). Hubby is original--50 years. Don't recognize the names but I'm sure I know someone who does. My first job was at Evergreen Elem. Great to meet you.

Originally Posted by annieb
    Hi - just noticed you are from Evergreen, LA. I was born in Bunkie, lived in Bay Hills and went to school a few years in Evergreen. Was a snowflake in a Christmas pageant. My mom went to high school in Evergreen. Small world, eh? Don't know your age, but wondering if you knew any Hardy's or Cox's from many years ago?
    Old 12-21-2010, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Janebird
    I just read your blog posting and what you've been going thru will certainly affect your focus. I'm in the same situation with my Dad, and some days I find myself wandering from task to task without even really remembering what I've done. Don't be so hard on yourself. Life will resettle into a routine - I'm counting on that!
    I realize that my mom's death will affect me, and it has, but I was kooky before and have always struggled with staying focused. I joke that I diagnosed myself with ADHD several years ago when I was at a workshop to (get ready) learn how to recognize students with ADHD. Had a huge awakening that day! Anyway, I am shocked that so many have responded to this thread. Thank you. I had a few tricks, now I have lots more.

Oh, and while you all were posting, I was sewing! :-) Got that disappearing 4 patch center done. Now to the applique.
    Old 12-21-2010, 09:52 PM

I think there has to be incentive or a way to see your accomplishments.
    1. Show N Tell at my guild. They give achievement awards. And just showing a finished quilt which they will all admire is great incentive.
    2. I keep a journal with pictures of all the quilts and other projects I've done. After a few years, it really starts to look nice and gives a great feeling of accomplishment.
    Things like this help me stay focused on the tedious work.