Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do you store it? Help would be apprciated. >
  • How do you store it? Help would be apprciated.

• How do you store it? Help would be apprciated.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:08 PM

That is such a good idea!

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    I found one of those tall jewelry armoires at Salvation Army. It has 12 shallow drawers and 2 'wing' compartments with hooks. I added wheels and and also put hooks on the back for long rulers.
    Old 06-03-2012, 04:37 PM

Same here - tackle box. Love the little cubbies in the trays. Mine isn't that large, but it stores what I use every day when I sew. When I'm headed for a class or Linus, I just throw in scissors, cutters, whatever I'll be needing and close it up. With the handle it's easy to carry.
    Old 06-03-2012, 04:57 PM

We travel from north to south, summer/winter and before that we were full time RVers. I bought a wonderful tackle box made by the Plano Molding Company, Plano, IL. It hinges in the middle, so have a separate top and bottom compartment. It holds just about every small item I can think of - including nail files, band aids, scotch tape, pencil sharpener, magnets, ad infinitum. The bottom holds larger items, like my little scrap bag with pincushion attached, and also has 4 separate plastic latched boxes where I have safety pins, embellishments, velcro strips, ad nauseum. And I even throw in a few spools of thread. I drag it with me wherever I go to sew including quilting retreats. Just Google Plano Molding Company and they have oodles and oodles of storage boxes that are wonderful for sewing supplies - even tackle boxes.

Nita in beUtiful Wisconsin

Old 06-03-2012, 05:04 PM

I use the white wooden scrapbook storage units from Michaels (?Hobby Lobby in the USA?_) The cubes fit together in whatever combination suits you best. They are about 14"x14"x14" Some have 3 drawers, some have shelves, one has four square drawers perfect for fat quarters. Some have vertical storage for magazines etc. At the side of my machine I keep one of the plastic bins with a handle for my immediate needs-seam ripper, pins, pencils, gloves etc.
    Old 06-03-2012, 06:42 PM

[QUOTE=quiltinghere;5259319]The things I use at the sewing machine desk are stored in a tray in the top desk drawer. Long things like seam rippers, turners, nail files (yep - hate to get up if I get a chipped nail)...needles are in another small box...odd shaped are in another small box.

Haha! I thought I was the only one that kept an emery board in my sewing machine tray!
    Old 06-03-2012, 07:48 PM

Sew many great storage ideas ladies and gentlemen, thanks for sharing!
    Old 06-04-2012, 03:58 AM

My question is how do you find your stuff after you store it? I put it all up and then when I need it stomp around saying "I can't find my ---".
    Old 06-04-2012, 04:12 AM

I bought a big plastic tool box about 12 years ago and it has a couple of tiers that accordion out on hinges and it's so easy to find stuff in it. The top tiers has small compartments (use for thimbles, needles, machine tools, seam rippers, small dowel sticks for turning, etc.), the middle tier has larger sections, and the bottom is open and where I store my extra scissors.
    Old 06-04-2012, 04:44 AM

Since I sew at my diningroom table and my sewing room. I bought a med size plastic tool box and keep my stuff in that.
    so no matter where I sew I just grab my tool box and go to whichever room I am in.
    Old 06-04-2012, 05:09 AM

Fabulous ideas, everyone! Thanks for sharing! I am blessed to have a sewing cabinet with wonderful drawers for all my "stuff," plus a cheap wicker chest of drawers for projects. Patterns I keep in a horizontal file cabinet.

WARNING: if you store material in any plastic containers, boxes or bags, put something like muslin or acid free tissue paper between your fabric and the plastic, especially white, as the oil from the plastic will eventually leach into the fabric and turn it yellow. I speak from experience, unfortunately.