Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do you store your patterns/info?? >
  • How do you store your patterns/info??

• How do you store your patterns/info??

Old 06-26-2011, 08:02 AM

Usually the external hard drives have good instructions with them and when you plug them into the usb drive, you computer will recognize it and assign a drive number to it.

Your hard drive is usually "C" drive, you can see when you go to my computer what drives are there after you connect it and do any installing.

You just take the pattern on the screen, go to file in the upper left corner and say save as and choose where you want to save it.
    Just remember that all things mechanical fail at some time or another and several back ups are better than one.
    Old 06-26-2011, 08:13 AM

So, you are saying it is really simple and I shouldn't be intimidated and "just go for it"??

Originally Posted by wisconsin
    Usually the external hard drives have good instructions with them and when you plug them into the usb drive, you computer will recognize it and assign a drive number to it.

Your hard drive is usually "C" drive, you can see when you go to my computer what drives are there after you connect it and do any installing.

You just take the pattern on the screen, go to file in the upper left corner and say save as and choose where you want to save it.
    Just remember that all things mechanical fail at some time or another and several back ups are better than one.
    Old 06-26-2011, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by donnajean
    I save a copy of all my patterns to one of the little USB drives. You can get them for under $10.00

I also have an external drive that backs everything up continuously.
    I also use both - one bad experience losing info was all it took to convince me!
    Old 06-26-2011, 08:16 AM

You bet, you can do it.
    Old 06-26-2011, 09:59 AM

I use the sleeves for a five ring binder and put the entire pattern in it and then use a binder. takes up a lot less space that a file folder that I used before. Also have room in them for samples of fabric.
    Old 06-26-2011, 10:04 AM
    Power Poster

Comcast has a service now that allows you to store on a secure site, auto back up, for around $5 a month. Carbonite is another alternative, auto back up there too for around the same price.
    You can access your pictures/documents from any computer too :D:D:D
    Old 06-26-2011, 10:06 AM

I put all my patterns in page protectors and then aI file them in a file cabinet in my sewing room. I file them alphabetically in hanging folders. I have some folders for table runners, aprons, etc. I also have a spread sheet in excel in which I list all my patterns by name company and author if listed. Then I can quickly look at this file and seem what I have. I also label the type of pattern, applique, paper piecing, etc.
    Old 06-26-2011, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Cathieinut
    So sorry this happened to you. Hopefully you can find someone to restore your info.
    I have a friend who used to put all of her downloads on floppy drives but they have gone the way of VHS tapes! LOL
    You could put them on thumb drives and keep them in a "safe place". That way you can download and access the files as needed.
    Maybe buy a few different ones for different patterns...red for traditional pieced, blue applique, pink paper piecing etc.
    You would probably want to at least print out some sort of index for each little drive so that you know what is on it!
    Good luck

HMMM--- I'm one that prints everything and stores them in ring binders, but I love the idea of the color coding for each type of pattern. I can see using different colored tabs or dividers. Thanks.
    Old 06-26-2011, 11:12 AM

I print the ones I really want. Otherwise, I back up my computer on a Seagate External Hard Drive. I had a laptop commit suicide once and lost all my files. Now I back up at least once a week on the Seagate.
    Old 06-26-2011, 12:24 PM

Im not computer smart at all, but I use a external hard drive, when you first plug in a window just go from there