Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do you store your threads and bobbins? >
  • How do you store your threads and bobbins?

• How do you store your threads and bobbins?

Old 03-25-2016, 10:35 AM
    Power Poster

I use to keep my bobbins separate since I only used Mettler but now that I have some Aurifil, trying to keep those bobbins with the thread.
    Old 03-25-2016, 11:53 AM
    Banned

I like to have my thread where I can see it. I currently have 5 of these on the wall:
    http://www.allstitch.net/product/60-...-rack-5355.cfm
    3 for embroidery thread, one for cotton thread and one for everything else. I love that the pins are tall enough to put matching bobbins with the thread and you can stack spools if needed.

Cari
    Old 03-25-2016, 11:55 AM

I have many different kinds of thread and 4 different machines. Fortunately each machine's bobbins are different enough to easily tell at a glance which machine they go with. I find that for me keeping the bobbin with the thread works best. In order to keep the thread from unwinding on the bobbin I used a tip from another member of the board and bought some clear tubing at my local Lowes and cut individual pieces that fit over the bobbin and keep the thread from unwinding.

My antique and vintage threads are kept in vintage thread boxes and the bobbins are kept in the bobbin areas in those boxes. Vintage threads are organized by material (cotton, or cotton/poly, or nylon, or silk) and color.

My modern threads are kept in a variety of tins and I use that Hugo's amazing tape stuff to affix the bobbin to the thread cone/spool. Modern threads are organized by material.

Rob
    Old 03-25-2016, 01:19 PM

To keep my bobbins with the thread, I use a plain ol rubber band. String it thru the bobbin and wind it around the spool.
    Mary
    Old 03-25-2016, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Queen
    To keep my bobbins with the thread, I use a plain ol rubber band. String it thru the bobbin and wind it around the spool.
    Mary
    I like this - simple but effective. Thankyou.
    Old 03-25-2016, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    I think I have tried every gadget & tip out there, but this works best for me. I got a bunch of tiny zip bags at the dollar store. I put the spool and bobbins in the bag & close. I have 3 boxes one for cool colors, one for warm and one for neutrals. I just toss the bag in the appropriate box. Might not be the prettiest or most organized, but the bag keeps the thread and bobbin together, keeps dust off and keeps the tails contained.
    This is what I've been doing. There've been some great ideas on here, but I think I may carry on with this, as it has all the advantages you mention. The bobbins for my 3 machines are different enough for me to be able to store them together.
    Old 03-26-2016, 03:42 AM

I store my thread, by type, in a small cabinet with lots of drawers that I label with the content of the drawer. I make sure the loose end is fastened down either with a notch on the spool or a small piece of tape. I do not want to have a lot of bobbins with a small amount of thread on them to match thread spools I only use occasionally so I either use the bobbin thread to piece with since it won't show (similar colors, of course) or, I wind it back on the spool and store it. Then, if I need that color again, I just wind it off on a bobbin. I have only 12 bobbins and that is great for me.
    Old 03-26-2016, 05:35 AM

Years ago, someone posted a little thread cabinet that was made out of yardsticks. I just loved that look.
    Old 03-27-2016, 04:03 AM

I have a three drawer organizer that is placed under my sewing machine farm table...each drawer holds a clear plastic shoe box. Colors are divided by neutrals, blacks and dark blues, and the last for my brights. Bobbins are held in plastic bobbin cases within the correct drawer. My Aurifil and Connecting Threads for quilting hang on the wall....one thread spool and it's bobbin in the next space.
    Old 03-27-2016, 10:25 AM

I store them exactly like the picture shown with thread and bobbin together in a plastic divided container. Those that do not fit or cones I store in a deep drawer in zip loc bags...again keeping the bobbin with the thread...I find jewelry plastic bags work well also...I have been emptying my bobbins recently by using them as the top thread when I piece blocks....giving me more available bobbins to use...lol