Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do you >
  • How do you

• How do you

Old 08-12-2010, 09:01 PM
    Power Poster

I tried the pillow turn method you described but the whole thing got skewed on me and I gave up. All of mine have gotten double fold binding and it takes a bit of practice. If you struggle with the corners on a miter, you can sew each side binding on and make it look like a straight frame. there are tons of you-tube and tutorials out there.
    Old 08-12-2010, 09:32 PM

Good Luck and Welcome !!

Many ways to finish, if doing 3 outer edges then go around the corner some, make a smaller hole, that way all the corners are very similar, with a smaller hole to sew up.
    :)
    Old 08-12-2010, 09:42 PM

I learned to quilt from the internet and a book. You can find everything you would ever need to know online.
    But I will say that nothing beats the in-person and hands-on advantage of taking a class, or else sewing with an experienced quilter.
    Old 08-12-2010, 09:56 PM

I take a quilting class that uses Eleanor Burns' teachings. If you get one of her books or dvd's she shows how to do a "quick turn" that's the only way I've done my lap quilts so far. Oh yeah, if you look at her web site: quiltinaday.com she has free episodes you can watch.
    Old 08-12-2010, 10:32 PM

have to agree for a bigger quilt binding looks better - I still have to check how to do mitred corners and there are plenty of simple tutorials out there for help I think there is one on here too
    Originally Posted by erinqberry
    Yeah I've tried it that way too! My binding corners never look right. Most of the quilts/blankets I've done this way were for babies. But I'm wanting to make a wedding quilt for a friend and one for my brother/sister-in-law to be. I'll have to do some looking for books or on Youtube.
    Old 08-12-2010, 10:38 PM

http://tutorials.missouriquiltco.com/

I am a newbie too, and i learned a lot from Missouri star.
    Old 08-12-2010, 10:39 PM

This is a common way to do it, Eleanor Burns does(or use to do) it this way all the time. There is nothing wrong with it. But to have a more finished looking quilt it is common to make what is known as a sandwich. backing on the bottom, with right side facing out, batting, then the top. smooth the layers out, and baste closely. There are three basic ways to baste, sewing with large stitches, using safety pins(about every three inches, or the newest way, spray basting, the sandwich is basted as you layer with this method. I hope ths helped. If you use the search asking about sandwiching you will probably get a lot more input. Good luck.
    Old 08-12-2010, 11:02 PM

quilting is full of easy tricks--some will work for you some you will not like---i learn buy watching it being done-you tube is the best--if you are isolated--put an add in you local paper there are many quiet crafters all over the world----love spray baste+hand baste hate pinning the layers together--i use a 3 inch double fold binding [most use 2 .1/2] then i find out www.pamhollanddesigns.com[check her out from my home town adelaide] also uses 3 inch she also free motion quilts with her feed dogs up---i guess if you learn the rules you then know to break them
    Old 08-12-2010, 11:42 PM

http://www.quilt.com/Stores/SouthEast/Virginia.html

Try the above link, you might find some quilt shops in your area.

skydiver70

Mary
    Old 08-13-2010, 01:04 AM

I used to do my quilts exactly that way....and tried machine quilting a couple times. Didn't work at all.
    But for tying it works pretty well, and baby quilts. I learned little by little and you will too! For one thing, you have this board! I didn't! I have really learned alot and I haven't even been here that long! Hang in there, try new things and ask questions and watch tutorials...it's a way higher tech world now when it comes to quilting.