Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How does your guild welcome new members? >
  • How does your guild welcome new members?

• How does your guild welcome new members?

Old 07-31-2017, 04:10 AM
    Power Poster

another thought I've had... to engage with others at the meetings, visit the 'free' table, the library, or the community service table. when you notice someone 'handling' or turning in something that meets with your style, it's a great time to engage with them. also, sign up for a class... lots of interaction there.
    Old 07-31-2017, 09:30 AM

Out guild has guests sign-in on a separate sheet and introduce them during the meeting letting them tell a little bit about themselves and how long they have been quilting. We also give them 5-6 used quilt magazines that we collect from members.
    Old 07-31-2017, 09:30 PM

We have guests sign in and introduce them at the meeting; new members are introduced if they come in during the year--we do beginner classes which draw in many of the new members as a larger group (25-30) so we don't introduce each of hem separately.

Ours is a large group, but I feel that the culture of the guild is set by the leadership--and expect that we are all being friendly and inclusive. As one of the teachers in the beginner class, I stress that our mentors are right there with the beginner and not hanging with friends chatting--we also have potlucks and again, make an effort to "mix-it up" at the seating. You can do that so many different way--giving everyone a color paper as they enter, having a post meal activity that moves people around, etc.

Pagzz--I am a big believer that everyone that joins a group needs to put some effort into joining in, but the culture of the guild can either make that easy or not.
    Old 08-01-2017, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Pagzz
    I am always surprised by people who are negative on guilds. It's a group, and I am not a celebrity. I have no expectation that people will notice me or make much of my presence. I am an introvert and if you visit my guild, I will be polite, and helpful, but usually I have a job to be doing before the meeting starts and I will be focused on that. Once the meeting starts I am focused on the announcements, business, and speakers.

I wonder if some people think of guilds as a church that really wants fellowship and new members. I think of them more as something like this forum. I found Quilting Board Forum years ago and I peeked and visited some time before I joined and there was some time before I posted. There are only some of the sections I read regularly. I'm here because I love quilting. I don't care if you become my buddy. Though if I want to make new friends I join one of the small bees in a guild and it has worked every time, though it takes attending a few times for friendship to form.
    Excellent! My take on this is that we are adults. We should have the skills to introduce ourselves to others. Say the phrase.."this is my first visit".... people are willing to introduce visitors to others. Bring a project for Show & Tell. That is a great ice breaker! Usually a "guest" arrives with a guild member. The guest is introduced by their friend at the beginning of the meeting which is how my Guild operates. My fav guild is our local one. 45 members tops. And to this day...I cannot rattle off everyones' name...no one can. No one gets "offended" to my knowledge. We greet each other in the grocery store etc. So we do recognize each other.

Show up, introduce yourself, extend your hand and show some projects. Have a special talent for a technique? Or other craft you love to do? Bring it up!

sandy

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-01-2017 at 02:29 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
    Old 08-01-2017, 09:07 PM

In a town we lived in previously I used to go to guild meetings over a period of 3-4 years until we moved. They had greeters at the door, and we'd sign in and everyone would wear name tags. Every member received a member list with phone numbers. They had an orientation for new members, held in one member's home, that was informative and very friendly.

This was a large guild. Most of the members were as friendly as could be at every encounter. Still, I found - even after going for a few years - that I'd occasionally wander in at the last minute and have trouble finding a place to sit because there tended to be some pretty cliquish groups that would always sit at the same tables and save seats for their friends. Our leadership actively encouraged us to mix by sitting at different tables each time, but that didn't seem to work out very well. We were at the point of outgrowing the venue where meetings were held, so that was part of it: seating was limited. Sometimes if I did manage to find a seat among some group where everyone was close friends except me, my attempts to get to know them seemed to be an intrusion on their private conversations. I just want to say that in no way did that less-than-welcoming behavior represent the guild as a whole, and, Belfrybat, maybe you just happened to get in with the worst example of that within a group that overall might have been just great. It's a pity that not everyone sees every new face as a potential friend, but maybe you would have an entirely different experience on another day.

Quilters are possibly more likely to be introverted than the average person on the street. It's just that this sort of hobby is well suited for people who tolerate their own company for hours at a time, and although we introverts - contrary to popular notions - are not unfriendly loners by nature, many of us are a little more socially awkward, shy, or just not forward enough to put out the figurative welcome mat immediately when we meet someone new. We may be too caught up in our own shyness to realize that the newcomer may also be shy. Many of us really don't enjoy going to meetings with large groups of strangers, but will do much better in a small bee with people interacting on specific projects.

Maybe the way to approach this would be to sign up for a class or retreat, which you should be able to find via a local shop. It's just easier to get to know people in smaller groups. People there will be likely to be involved with the guild, and if you feel you know someone when you go to the guild the next time, you may be more comfortable. Then as a member you can help them work toward creating a procedure for the guild to welcome new people.
    Old 08-01-2017, 09:28 PM

I forgot to mention that our guild meetings were preceded by a period specifically set aside for socializing. In general it promoted a more welcoming atmosphere for new people than if we'd immediately started the minutes and program.
    Old 08-02-2017, 07:49 AM

Our guild asks if there are any visitors or new members. Those individuals then tell us about themselves. Many of us do sit at the same table to visit but that is because it is the only times we see each other! We always make room at the table for anyone wants to join us. A bunch of us go out to lunch afterward and anyone is welcome.
    Old 08-02-2017, 08:51 AM

I recently joined a small guild (less than 25 people). I had read their Facebook page and talked to someone on the phone before my first meeting. When I arrived they were setting up tables and chairs. Someone said "grab the other end of this table". People introduced them self as I helped with the set up. A person who had been new the past month invited me to sit next to her. The person I had talked to on the phone introduced me to the group when the meeting started. They both whispered things to me during the meeting to let me know what was being talked about. Other ladies also walked up to me and welcomed me. I was given an introduction packet. I felt I was welcomed to the group. I heard some about the retreat they had just had the weekend before.
    Old 08-03-2017, 11:59 AM

I think guild websites are good source of information and perhaps can prepare someone who is uncomfortable in a new situation. I think this is an excellent example from Quilter's Guild of Dallas. I am not a member, but was checking their website because I want to hear tonight's speaker.

http://quiltersguildofdallas.org/meeting_information
    Old 08-03-2017, 12:54 PM
    mim

our guild is very big so we all wear name tags. A new person is welcomed with applause and wears a name tag. A new member is hooked up with a "old member" as a mentor to help answer any questions. Also find out any special interests and introduce her to someone who shares the interest.

Also our member booklet has a picture of each member. This is very helpful to me because I am only there half the year and forget names.

Mim

Shame on any group that is clannish and cold shoulders