Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How does your guild welcome new members? >
  • How does your guild welcome new members?

• How does your guild welcome new members?

Old 07-29-2017, 08:57 AM

Default How does your guild welcome new members?

Hello everyone,
    Was wondering what your guild does to welcome new members?
    Im looking for ideas. I've heard some guilds provide a 'welcome kit'.
    Any feedback is appreciated.
    Thank you!
    Old 07-29-2017, 09:28 AM
    Power Poster

We introduce the new member at the first meeting. Their name tag has a smiley for the first year. This way, it can be a conversation starter. Our guild is very friendly.
    Old 07-29-2017, 10:39 AM
    Power Poster

We have a greeter at the front, and she makes sure that someone takes the new person around to all the various "stations" where things are going on, introduces them, and explains what is done there. (The stations are for Block of the Month, animal rescue quilts, Opportunity quilt (raffle quilt), philanthropy, a special veterans assistance project, fabric swap, etc.) We also have a "welcome brunch" once a year for all the new members. They, the guild officers, and any member who wishes to attend are invited.
    Old 07-29-2017, 01:46 PM

I went to one guild meeting. Walked in and no one greeted me or anything. I found a place to sit and a couple of folks near me said "hello" but that was it. They were too busy visiting with their friends. I enjoyed the presentation, but wasn't comfortable going back. No one asked me if I wanted more information or even my name. I felt invisible.

So... as a failed new member, I'd say please greet new people and tell them a bit about the organization. A welcome packet would be nice, but just acknowledging the fact they are there is important. Had someone done that for me I may well have become a contributing member -- and I don't just mean paying dues.
    Old 07-29-2017, 04:42 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Belfrybat
    I went to one guild meeting. Walked in and no one greeted me or anything. I found a place to sit and a couple of folks near me said "hello" but that was it. They were too busy visiting with their friends. I enjoyed the presentation, but wasn't comfortable going back. No one asked me if I wanted more information or even my name. I felt invisible.

So... as a failed new member, I'd say please greet new people and tell them a bit about the organization. A welcome packet would be nice, but just acknowledging the fact they are there is important. Had someone done that for me I may well have become a contributing member -- and I don't just mean paying dues.
    i'm sorry that this happened to you. did you send them feedback? if they acknowledge the shortcoming, perhaps you will give them another chance. guilds are a great support group for quilters.
    Old 07-29-2017, 05:33 PM

One of my previous guilds put a special ribbon on the new people's nametag for a year like the smiley face idea posted above.
    Some guilds can be very hard to "break into". When we knew we were moving after I retired, I paid very close attention to how new people conducted themselves at my old guild's meetings. Sometimes (rarely), some people came in like gangbusters before they scoped out the lay of the land so to speak. One woman kept talking about how she would be delighted to long arm for everyone and without realizing it, stepped on the toes of the other long armers already in our guild. She did make some friends but also turned off some people because she came on so strong. So, sometimes, it isn't always the fault of the other members.
    When I moved and tried out a new guild, I listened and watched a lot. I volunteered for the quilt shows and some other tasks. People learned that I was a hard worker and got to know my personality. I've met some really kind and creative people. I also try to be welcoming to any new members I see at meetings.

Last edited by lots2do; 07-29-2017 at 05:37 PM.
    Old 07-30-2017, 02:56 AM

We have a membership chair who sits by the door with information. All members and guests sign in each meeting along with sign up for show and tell. As a part of the meeting guests are introduced. They stand up to be recognized and tell a little about themselves. Once they join their contact information is put in the monthly newsletter so members can update their roster. They get a welcome packet that has a roster with pictures of current members, explanations of the regular things we do/donations we make etc. and a copy of the bylaws. Once a year we have a new member luncheon. We also have current members who act as a buddy for the new member until they get acclimated.
    Old 07-30-2017, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat
    This was my experience with a Guild also. The members were not friendly until it came time for new officers and then they needed new members to take over. I do not belong to a Guild.
    Old 07-30-2017, 08:03 AM

I haven't visited any guilds, but sought out a charity work day to finish quilts for a local group. Took one of my daughters along. I bound 3 quilts, she tied several. I tried to make conversation with the ladies around me, but they were very clique-ish. I approached the woman in charge (that I had emailed previously for more info)
    I introduced myself..she said "thanks for coming", then immediately turned to her friend to chat. Not very welcoming, and it's not worth the 30+ minute drive to be ignored. I would have been a hard working, contributor....
    Old 07-30-2017, 08:16 AM

I am always surprised by people who are negative on guilds. It's a group, and I am not a celebrity. I have no expectation that people will notice me or make much of my presence. I am an introvert and if you visit my guild, I will be polite, and helpful, but usually I have a job to be doing before the meeting starts and I will be focused on that. Once the meeting starts I am focused on the announcements, business, and speakers.

I wonder if some people think of guilds as a church that really wants fellowship and new members. I think of them more as something like this forum. I found Quilting Board Forum years ago and I peeked and visited some time before I joined and there was some time before I posted. There are only some of the sections I read regularly. I'm here because I love quilting. I don't care if you become my buddy. Though if I want to make new friends I join one of the small bees in a guild and it has worked every time, though it takes attending a few times for friendship to form.

Last edited by Pagzz; 07-30-2017 at 08:36 AM. Reason: calification