Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How dumb was that? (Hand quilting) >
  • How dumb was that? (Hand quilting)

• How dumb was that? (Hand quilting)

Old 11-16-2011, 03:02 PM

I think I made mine tight , as I was conditioned to do this when I embroider. It took me a bit to figure out , its not the same , and let the layers relax in the frame.
    Old 11-16-2011, 03:21 PM
    Power Poster

Thank's for the lesson. Now I won't make that same move when I try hand quilting! It's good to see you here!
    peace
    Old 11-16-2011, 03:32 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by cmmcbride
    How many stitches to the inch is acceptable? Hand-quilting is new to me. I have been averaging 5 stitches to an inch. I know to maintain a consistent size in the stitches in very important...just haven't figured out how to get more than 5 stitches. I can only do 2 stitches at a time to maintain stitch length consistency. I enjoy hand-quilting but I am very slow at it. Any helpful hints are appreciated. I really enjoy reading these inquiries. Thanks, Christina
    I think 10 to the inch is considered very good and 12 is master, but don't quote me. I don't think there should be any pressure on you. I saw some of Kaffe Fassetts' quilts at a show and there was some very primative looking quilting on the quilts and it looked great. Don't expect to do master stitching if you are new at it. It takes practice as everything does. Just do what is comfortable and what you like!
    Old 11-16-2011, 03:45 PM

Trial and error - that's what it's all about. I use a thimble but only on my pushing finger. I still need to feel the needle on my 'under' fingers. I just change fingers frequently but they still look like worn out pincushions by the time I'm done with a quilt.
    Old 11-16-2011, 04:35 PM

I can't use a thimble either, but I use those little round pieces of leather that sticks to the finger. Love it, no more blood on the quilt.
    Originally Posted by PensyDutch
    My problem is that I can't use a thimble. I need to feel the needle. I get callouses on my fingers. Wish I could use a thimble.
    Old 11-16-2011, 04:47 PM

Me too. I would love to be able to hand quilt but for some reason I just can not do it.
    Originally Posted by OHSue
    I still don't seem to be able to find my mojo for hand quilting. I like hand work, but quilting just doesn't seem to click for me.
    Old 11-16-2011, 06:12 PM

I went to a hand quilting class once and the instructor kept telling me to make the fabric tighter and then she told me about 12 times I needed to try to rock the needle for more than a couple of stitches.. I was just like DUH how and the heck am I suppose to do that. I did have fun in the class because of the other ladies but I was not thrilled with the teacher. I actually prefer to hand quilt without a frame. I just have to baste really really well.
    Old 11-16-2011, 08:27 PM

What's the best batting for handquilting, especially for a beginner?
    Old 11-16-2011, 11:14 PM

I did many hand quilting demonstrations on quilt shows over the years. When people looked at me while I was working many of them wer really surprised about the "looseness" of the quilt in the hoop! They tried many times to get familiar with hand quilting and they couldn't - just because they put their work too tight in the hoop. So you see: you are not alone! And now life is easier for you!
    Old 11-16-2011, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by cmmcbride
    How many stitches to the inch is acceptable? Hand-quilting is new to me. I have been averaging 5 stitches to an inch. I know to maintain a consistent size in the stitches in very important...just haven't figured out how to get more than 5 stitches. I can only do 2 stitches at a time to maintain stitch length consistency. I enjoy hand-quilting but I am very slow at it. Any helpful hints are appreciated. I really enjoy reading these inquiries. Thanks, Christina
    As already said consistency is much more important than stitch length. In my experience it depends so much of the fabric and the batting you are working with. Hand quilting is like hand writing, everybody has to find his/her own way and personal preferences and the result always looks a little different. Try to aim for regular stitches and for straightness - the stitch size will probably change while practicing.