Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • This is How Easy an X-Blocks Quilt Is..... >
  • This is How Easy an X-Blocks Quilt Is.....

• This is How Easy an X-Blocks Quilt Is.....

Old 05-18-2012, 10:21 AM

AndiR, love the quilt. What a fun idea. I just visited your website and blog and know I'll be back. Great stuff there and what a breath of fresh air! I love all the rulers I have and what each one can do for me. It looks like the Xblock ruler will join my collection. Thanks for the fun.
    Old 05-18-2012, 10:24 AM

I purchased a square ruler with X lines on it several years ago at the Quilt Festival in Houston that had "Sharon's" on it. I did not purchase the book, only the square, and thought I can remember how to do this from watching a demo. But....there was so much info there that it was overwhelming, and I didn't remember how to use it. So, which came first? I think it was "Sharon's" ruler. I googled and never did find info. on it.
    Old 05-18-2012, 11:12 AM

Amen, AndiR
    Old 05-18-2012, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda Lee
    AndiR, love the quilt. What a fun idea. I just visited your website and blog and know I'll be back. Great stuff there and what a breath of fresh air! I love all the rulers I have and what each one can do for me. It looks like the Xblock ruler will join my collection. Thanks for the fun.
    Thanks, Rhonda Lee, I'm glad you enjoyed your visit. I too love all my different rulers and the wide variety of jobs they can help me do.
    Old 05-18-2012, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by KathyPhillips
    I purchased a square ruler with X lines on it several years ago at the Quilt Festival in Houston that had "Sharon's" on it. I did not purchase the book, only the square, and thought I can remember how to do this from watching a demo. But....there was so much info there that it was overwhelming, and I didn't remember how to use it. So, which came first? I think it was "Sharon's" ruler. I googled and never did find info. on it.
    Kathy, Sharon Hultgren has a series of rulers. The Easy Rule has lines marked on it in an X shape, but I believe they are more for squaring up blocks, not doing the X-Blocks type patterns. Maybe there's another one I'm not aware of?

X-Blocks is not a new technique, I think it's been around since 2007 or so?
    Old 05-18-2012, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by AndiR
    Thanks, Rhonda Lee, I'm glad you enjoyed your visit. I too love all my different rulers and the wide variety of jobs they can help me do.
    I buy rulers & all sorts of gadgets all the time. I like having the right tool for the job. But that's just me. And BTW... I've had my X ruler for several years but just bought my Twister this year so I think X came first. But I could just be waaaaaay behind the times.
    Old 05-18-2012, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by AndiR
    Kathy, Sharon Hultgren has a series of rulers. The Easy Rule has lines marked on it in an X shape, but I believe they are more for squaring up blocks, not doing the X-Blocks type patterns. Maybe there's another one I'm not aware of?

X-Blocks is not a new technique, I think it's been around since 2007 or so?
    I have an Easy Ruler, too (see? I buy all the toys that come along) but I don't know how you'd use it like an X or a Twister ruler. Speaking of Twisters, I saw a "knock off" small one at Hancock's last weekend. I can't remember what it was called exactly or who made it (it was a name brand company, that much I do remember) & was cheaper than the Twister but it only came in the small size.
    Old 05-18-2012, 05:45 PM

This is really neat - I just placed my order. Thanks AndiR!
    Old 05-19-2012, 03:27 AM

still can't figure out the difference........what is a mini, button, regular at 7 1/2" or 6 1/2" and how does one use each of differently, or can say the mini do the same as the regular???????
    Old 05-19-2012, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B
    still can't figure out the difference........what is a mini, button, regular at 7 1/2" or 6 1/2" and how does one use each of differently, or can say the mini do the same as the regular???????
    Geri, did you get the PM I sent you yesterday? I have a link there for you that will explain these in more detail. Here is an excerpt of what I've written there:

The Large X-Blocks ruler comes in two sizes: 6-1/2″ and 7-1/2″. The only difference is you will start with different size strips or squares, and the finished projects come out different sizes. For instance, if you were to make the Triple Play quilt using the 6-1/2″ ruler, the quilt would finish at 40″ x 40″. Using the 7-1/2″ ruler it would be 45″ x 45″. You would only need one of these rulers to make any of the quilts in the first book, as well as most of the individual patterns.

The Mini X-Blocks rulers can be used on their own to make smaller versions of most of the projects – the Triple Play quilt would end up about 24″ x 24″. The blocks they make finish at one-fourth the size of the large ruler, so you could combine Mini 6-1/2″ blocks with Large 6-1/2″ blocks in the same project (or Mini 7-1/2″ with Large 7-1/2″).

The BellyButton rulers are sized to fit the center of the nine-patch made for the Large X-Blocks ruler. There are just a few patterns that require the use of the BellyButton (like the Thornton pattern), but it gives a whole different look to the quilt. The BellyButtons can also be used on their own, just like the Minis, to create smaller versions of the projects.
    So basically, you can do almost all of the patterns using any of the rulers - the finished products will just turn out different sizes. If you like small or miniature projects, choose a Mini or BellyButton in either size. If you like lap/bed size projects, choose the Large ruler in either size. It's only when you are getting into some of the more complicated quilts that you have to be more specific about which rulers you have.

Hope this helps!

Andi