Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How is the fabric at Hobby Lobby?? >
  • How is the fabric at Hobby Lobby??

• How is the fabric at Hobby Lobby??

Old 06-21-2011, 09:46 AM

I buy fabric from there a lot, and have never had any trouble. The only thing I will tell you is to make sure to buy all you need for each quilt at once. Sometimes when you go back they either don't have that fabric anymore or the dye lots don't match!
    Old 06-21-2011, 09:48 AM

I buy fabric from Hobby Lobby. My first preference is, of course, LQS, Hobby Lobby, WalMart. Joann ranks evry last with me as far as fabric for quilts. I will buy from Joann's, thread, needles, buttons because they have a greater selection. But Joann does have good choice in fabric for shirts, skirts, jackets and dress. No matter where you buy, be selective of quality.
    Old 06-21-2011, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by DanaMargaret
    Hi! There is a Hobby Lobby that just opened today near me. I get most of my fabric at a LQS. However, I'm wondering what you all think of their fabric / quilting section!
    Hi I used to live in NH and now I've moved to Ohio. We have a Hobby Lobby here and the fabric is better than JoAnn's. I've even seen some 1930's reproduction fabric that I've gotten in a LQS. Miss NH.
    Old 06-21-2011, 10:40 AM

I have bought faric from HL on a couple occasins. The signs on the fbric displayed always says 30% off which is a little deceiving but you can still use the 40% coupons to get a little more off there fabric. Some of the fabric is worth the price with the 40% off coupon. I have noticed from their emails that they are only putting the 40% off coupon, online, every other week. But, you can print off more than one coupon and use one each day of the week. They don't like person to use more than one coupon perday....but you can take a friend or daughter or son etc. and they can use a coupon for you. I don't mind that they are closed on Sundays but I do mind that the regular price of most of their stuff is too much for my pocket.
    Old 06-21-2011, 10:45 AM

There are no Hobby Lobbys farther than 650 miles from their home office in Okla. therefore none in most western states. I used to look forward to our visits to the midwest so I could hit their stores. I quilt for children's charities and always found great fabrics for that purpose. I always took an empty suitcase to return with my fabric haul. The last time I went I was very disappointed in their selection and sales but not in the quality of the fabric. Their yarn and batting selections had also been greatly downsized.

ther
    Old 06-21-2011, 11:08 AM
    Mae

Most of the fabric is OK to use in quilts. I always check the Clearance section first before I wander over to the fabric area. Some of the scrapbooking project boxes are suitable for quilting projects. And the empty bead tubes (4 per pkg) are the right size for storing bobbins, especially when you need several wound with the same thread.
    Old 06-21-2011, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by DanaMargaret
    Hi! There is a Hobby Lobby that just opened today near me. I get most of my fabric at a LQS. However, I'm wondering what you all think of their fabric / quilting section!
    I like the Brother/Sister brand from Hobby Lobby, that's really nice fabric. Some of the others aren't so nice. If it doesn't feel soft in the store, it usually doesn't get any better after washing;
    I go by feel.
    Old 06-21-2011, 12:10 PM

I have bought fabric both from the store and by mail. All of it has been great! I appreciate the fact that they don't make their employees work on Sundays, too. I had one of their stores very near me when I lived it Illinois, but sure wish I had one here in Oregon!
    Old 06-21-2011, 12:20 PM

Their fabric department isn't very large, but I used their fabric for my beginning quilt class, and I didn't have any trouble with the fabric. However, you DO need to feel it and check the quality, as their fabrics come from all over. It's always 30% off, and they also have coupons for 40% off a regular priced item every couple weeks. If you sign up online, you'll get their sales announcements and also their coupons. Just used one today for the Insul-Brite for pot holders. Once you go in the store, you'll be in there for a long time looking at all the different departments. There's something for every crafter, home designer and artist, as well as tons of seasonal items that are often 50% off. Have fun!
    Old 06-21-2011, 12:20 PM

Hobby Lobby carries a lot of the same fabrics you find at Walmart, if this helps with the quality issue. I don't recall ever seeing a "quilting section" there.