Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How good are you at THROWING AWAY???? >
  • How good are you at THROWING AWAY????

• How good are you at THROWING AWAY????

Old 08-10-2011, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Beachbound
    Seriously, how good are you about throwing away those strips, orphan blocks, scraps, crumbs, etc? I usually carefully put everything in bins and about once a year decide to try to use some of it up. Right now I am making those mug rugs and I can't tell if my stash is getting smaller. About now I feel like the guy who tries to finish the internet...it just isn't going to happen! :lol: So...do you throw this stuff away, do you keep it until you use, do you close the door & don't worry about using it?
    I use orphan blocks to cover the advertising on tote bags. Fold down the top about 3 - 4 inches, remove stitching on sides of bag. Place block over advertisement and stitch around (I use the applique stitch) two sides & bottom of block. Stitch a straight line down the center of the block to make pockets. I get lots of compliments on these bags.
    Old 08-10-2011, 05:06 AM
    Power Poster

DD 14 uses my less then quilt quality cotton fabric to make rag quilts. I get at times donations of fabrics and they are often thinner craft type of holiday christmas fabrics. They make the cutest rugs and wear well. DH build her a gigantic wooden frame like pot holders are made on and she uses the same technique.

Originally Posted by lindasidlow
    I met a woman that weaves rag rugs and she is thrilled to get my strips or fabric that she can cut into strips. This way I dont feel Im throwing away, just passing it on.
    Old 08-10-2011, 05:07 AM

No, I don't throw away much at all. If a scrap of fabric is bigger than one inch, I have a real hard time tossing it. I do use my scraps several times a year making scrappy string quilts, but it seems the scrap bag never gets any emptier.
    Old 08-10-2011, 05:07 AM
    Power Poster

Great idea! Thanks for sharing.

I use orphan blocks to cover the advertising on tote bags. Fold down the top about 3 - 4 inches, remove stitching on sides of bag. Place block over advertisement and stitch around (I use the applique stitch) two sides & bottom of block. Stitch a straight line down the center of the block to make pockets. I get lots of compliments on these bags.[/quote]
    Old 08-10-2011, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Beachbound
    Seriously, how good are you about throwing away those strips, orphan blocks, scraps, crumbs, etc? I usually carefully put everything in bins and about once a year decide to try to use some of it up. Right now I am making those mug rugs and I can't tell if my stash is getting smaller. About now I feel like the guy who tries to finish the internet...it just isn't going to happen! :lol: So...do you throw this stuff away, do you keep it until you use, do you close the door & don't worry about using it?
    My rule: If I can't cut a 3X3 square out of it, I toss it. 3X3 squares get sewn into baby blankets once my "photo sized" shoe box gets full. That box holds MANY 3X3 squares!
    Old 08-10-2011, 05:23 AM

I wrap my coils with it to make the coiled baskets.
    Old 08-10-2011, 05:24 AM

Here is what I did when decided to throw away strips that had been accumulating for several years. I could not believe what happened. I mentioned in an e-mail to several friends that I made the decision to thow out my strips with the exception of the cream colored ones. I had them all separated by color not by size. Would you believe two different friends came right back with an e-mail that they wanted them! So first came first took!
    Old 08-10-2011, 05:26 AM

When my dear sweet mother passed she had so much that she had no use for. We gave tons to the salvation army. At that time I decided I would not put my children thru that and have since offerred whatever to someone else or given to salvation army. It is a sin to keep what you do use. Someone else may not have the monies to purchase fabrics, etc.
    Old 08-10-2011, 05:27 AM

What do you mean THROW AWAY?????I didn't know that word was in a quilters vocabulary!!!!
    Old 08-10-2011, 05:27 AM

Seems when I get rid of "odd" pieces, the need for them is almost immediate. However, a friend and I have a great swapping system (no bookkeeping involved) for immediate needs. Sometimes I fill a bag (big bag) and donate to a group which makes charity quilts, although I prefer to sew the charity quilts myself. piecefully, the old one