Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How to hide a name written on a quilt in pen *sigh* >
  • How to hide a name written on a quilt in pen *sigh*

• How to hide a name written on a quilt in pen *sigh*

Old 05-03-2012, 05:33 AM

I made a memory quilt for a beloved relative who was getting married. The marriage ended very badly because of domestic violence and there was only one picture of the offending party on the quilt right smack dab in the center. Now it is relegated to a storage compartment somewhere probably never to be seen again as a result of the very bad ending. I know it is about that moment in time, now that only carries very poor memories. Makes me sad. The rest of the quilt is beautiful and they loved it at the time. Might talk to the people and see what they recommend. Maybe they would be okay with leaving it or maybe another creative solution.
    Old 05-03-2012, 05:48 AM

Look at the saying on the bottom of your blog area......................nothing is a mistake.............you learn from some...........I think it should remain there on the quilt...................it wasn't a mistake. It was a learning experience and the new couple may learn something very positive from it! It's a beautiful quilt made from the hearts of many people.
    Old 05-03-2012, 06:01 AM

That's what I was thinking, whatever you do to cover the name, you will need to do to a couple more of the blocks.

Originally Posted by nativetexan
    You could add some darker fabric over the name as if it were pieced. then to another block, do the same by adding a square of different fabric. just make it look like pieced blocks and no one will know.
    Old 05-03-2012, 06:40 AM

Please leave it the way it is. Never know they might get back together.
    Old 05-03-2012, 07:29 AM

Leave it. I hope "permanent" ink is permanent as we have read so many missing quilts. This would be another "bad use" of a good intention. (Sad to have to even think of those that are devious)
    Old 05-03-2012, 07:30 AM

Wait until after the wedding ,then if the couple wants the name removed you can cover it.
    Old 05-03-2012, 08:48 AM

you could always applique a heart or something over it.
    Old 05-03-2012, 10:08 AM

My opinion is to leave it there. It was their sentiment 'at the time of signing the blocks'. If a person had to make changes to a quilt every time there was a change in life's scene, it would be dramatic. And if it's your gift, it doesn't need the recipients approval. Am sure they aren't going to 'throw it out' or 'not use it' just because that block is in there. If they do, they weren't worthy of the gift in the first place. That's blunt, but IMHO.
    Old 05-03-2012, 10:27 AM

At the time they signed it, they were still married. That what memories are made of....life experiences good and bad. I would leave it. You didn't do anything bad. Life goes on. We don't live in a perfect world and how boring it would be if we did! Great idea for a quilt. I'm sure they will love it.
    Old 05-03-2012, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
    I'm doing a wedding quilt for some friends. I had their family and friends sign a 10.5" square (took 6 months to get all the squares back! ). The quilt top is all together, just waiting on a border. Well, since then, one of the marriages broke up and I have a lovely square, in the middle of the quilt, with both of their names on it. I used the Pigma permanent ink pens and have already iron set the ink. Any ideas how I can cover her name?

I included a picture of the quilt so you can get an idea of what it looks like. It's pretty basic in design so I feel like doing some raw edge applique would look very out of place.

I'd leave the names alone, unless one of the parties requests that you remove the name.