Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How to iron every little seam... help! >
  • How to iron every little seam... help!

• How to iron every little seam... help!

Old 05-05-2010, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
    The quilt I am making calls for me to iron every seam as I piece them together. Which means I have to hop up and down between my sewing machine and ironing board. Does anyone have a better set up? Alas, I do not have a studio...yet! Thanks so much for your expertise!
    I bought a small table-top ironing board at Wal-Mart. I set it up next to my sewing machine. It folds up when I don't need it.
    Old 05-05-2010, 06:00 PM

I use a microwave cart--on wheels. pad the top for ironing
    board, shelves hold cans of sprays, etc. pull next to your
    machine when you are doing a lot of piecing,in corner when
    you don't need it.
    Old 05-05-2010, 06:05 PM

YOu gals just gave me an idea. a sleeve board would suffice too I believe. Gee I have one in my garage for the next yard sale. Guess it will stay here.
    Old 05-05-2010, 06:10 PM

The quilt I am making calls for me to iron every seam as I piece them together. Which means I have to hop up and down between my sewing machine and ironing board. Does anyone have a better set up? Alas, I do not have a studio...yet! Thanks so much for your expertise!
    Yep, I used to do that too. When that happened I just chain pieced and then chain ironed. That way I would have to get up to go to the iron and get some exercise.

Then last nite at a guild meeting our chief teacher guru told us that the most recent thinking is to lightly finger press or use a wooden press gently on all seams and NOT iron til each block is done. She said that ironing can distort the fabr

go figure.
    Old 05-05-2010, 08:58 PM

I just lower the height setting on my ironing board and pull it over to the left of my machine, such that I can merely turn to the left and press my pieces, withou getting up at all. Also handy for holding up larger peices as I sew.
    Old 05-05-2010, 09:34 PM

I also chain piece all of one step, then get up and iron. It's good to get up and move around. I don't care for the ironing board with the cutting board on the back. I had one, but the cutting board warped something awful.
    Old 05-06-2010, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by mic-pa
    I took one of those card boards that fabric comes on in the quilt shop and covered it with several layers of warm and natural batt then muslin on top of that and pined it firmly. Makes a nice portable iron board. fits in my tote easily to take to class etc. Marge
    Great idea. That's all it takes to make an ironing board!

As for finger pressing - that came to be fingernail pressing and my fingernails aren't all that thick or long. I saw a grouping of 4-5 clay tools made of nicely smoothed wood and use a couple for finger pressing tools and one for laying fabric flat just before it hits the sewing machine needle.

After buying a bunch of sand box sand I set aside a few coffee cans full for experiments (who knows?) and made a 4-5" rectangle "pin cushion" with a quilted cover. This is now what I plop down on sewn seams and plies of sewn squares. Flattens things nicely.
    Old 05-06-2010, 06:34 AM

these are great
    Originally Posted by QBeth
    Joann's, and other places probably, carry something called a Quilter's cut & press which is a cutting board on one side and pressing board on the flip side. I keep one next to my sewing machine along with my iron. I've attached a picture of it. Comes in two sizes.
    Old 05-06-2010, 10:05 AM

Because I don't have a sewing room, I have taken over the dining table. It is one of those high tables, so my machine is at one end and I have my ironing board part way under the table by my side so all I have to do is turn on my chair and press. I also have a small table top ironing board that I sometimes use.
    Old 05-27-2010, 02:34 PM

i have a cut & press made by june taylor,love it ! also have a clover mini-iron that i just started using after 12 yrs ! why did i wait so long ? it woks great,esp,to press seams open ! try it,you'll like it !