Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How to keep a fabric dept. in your local wal-mart >
  • How to keep a fabric dept. in your local wal-mart

• How to keep a fabric dept. in your local wal-mart

Old 11-20-2009, 08:43 PM

I was in a Wal-Mart last night after 9:00 PM. I was looking for flannel. There was a large amount of flannel, and quite a variety of other fabrics. There were also several other people shopping for fabric. The employee in the area was very helpful as she chatted with all of us, cutting our purchases.

So I asked if there was a possibility the department would be going away, as it had in other w-m stores. She replied that they are one of three in the district getting to keep the department, by virtue of the fact that they outsold all the other fabric depts in all the other w-m stores in the district. She assured me there was no chance of discontinuing the dept. at this particular store, as the quilters purchase so much from there. :wink:

So I guess there is hope for keeping a fabric dept. in w-m, if you can get enough of the quilters/seamstresses/school home ec teachers & classes/etc. to buy from there.

Do I hear "UNITE"?

(By the way, this is not local for me. I have to travel over 60 miles to get to this particular store. It is usually my last stop in a long day of errand running.)
    Old 11-20-2009, 09:25 PM

I always buy as much as I can at Wal-mart for that very reason. We live NOWHERE and I don't want to loose that fabric department.

By the way, QuiltMom. SE Nebraska 60 or so miles from a good Wal-mart. Does that put you in the Auburn area?
    Old 11-20-2009, 09:31 PM

Ours are all gone.
    Old 11-20-2009, 10:09 PM
    Banned

I hate to say this but it would be a cold day in hell before I would step foot in a Walmart.

I used to go all the time back when they only carried made in USA stuff so you can guess how many years that has been. Since Sam Walton passed away it has been downhill ever since.

I would rather support my LQS or a my local Hancock Fabrics.

I know that some of you folks only have a Wally world to buy fabric locally and I might be in the same boat when I move to my farm in middle TN later this year, but I will be going to internet sites instead.

Billy
    Old 11-21-2009, 01:33 AM

I RARELY shop in Wal Mart for the same reason - not enough Made in America stuff!!! Connecting Threads DOES have American made (American GROWN cotton) and I shop through them - even with their weird shipping rules (discussed here before) their fabrics are nice and not that expensive. When I go to my local quilt store I look for American made first and usually buy those fabrics as much as possible.
    Old 11-21-2009, 04:22 AM

I don't care where the fabric comes from I can't afford a lot of expensive stuff. Walmart has given a lot of people in my community jobs and kept other stores on their toes. We still have our fabric at my store but I only buy it if I like what they have.
    Old 11-21-2009, 04:54 AM
    Power Poster

I was browsing around my local Wal-mart fabric department yesterday. They have some real nice fabric and I support them every chance I get. Ours has a good selection. I was looking at the flannel yesterday and liked what I saw.
    Old 11-21-2009, 06:02 AM

when they took the fabric out of our local WM they also took thread, zippers, ribbon etc...I sent off a nasty email and told them that the local dime store quit carrying zippers when wally moved in and we couldn't find a zipper in the whole town....guess what, they moved the notions back in....bitching does help sometimes.
    Old 11-21-2009, 06:11 AM
    Banned

I have to buy where I can afford it and Walmart is first on the list ....however I wish they had some competition.
    Old 11-21-2009, 06:41 AM

Wow, I must have the worst walmart fabric selection ever...I haven't shopped there is a few years because the fabric selection was so bad. When shopping there for back to school supplies this past August I did glance through and yep...still awful. I remember when I first started quilting and sewing in general I would only go there to buy my fabric but it's just gotten really bad. Thankfully I live in a city that has multiple Joanns, Hancocks & lqs-s. After reading the posts about not having anything local I realize how lucky I am.