Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How to keep track of finally reorganized fabrics, projects, collections... >
  • How to keep track of finally reorganized fabrics, projects, collections...

• How to keep track of finally reorganized fabrics, projects, collections...

Old 06-23-2011, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by bjeriann
    I have a notebook I put all my plans in with pattern name and fabric samples. Then I use old priority boxes I have coverd with wrapping paper and label it for that project. I fill it with the pattern and fabric to be used. It looks better than bags on a shelf.
    Oh, I love this idea. I have my patterns filed, but I don't have fabric & pattern together, just fabric for one quilt in a bag. I am looking for boxes and getting started tomorrow. Thanks for sharing.
    Old 06-23-2011, 05:36 PM

WOW lots more creative ideas - some of which are right on with the way I'm thinking of keeping the list....not too formal or time consuming and a little forgiving.

I'm not listing all the fabrics I have - just the collections (nickels, 2 1/2" strips, 3 1/2" 4patch blocks, tulip paperpieced blocks) - need to use them up - right?
    Old 06-23-2011, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by annsayre
    I have a spiral bound book of 3 x 5 index cards. When I start a new project I start a new card with the date and other relevant information, such as inspiration. I never tear a card out of the binder until the project in totally finished and the label is on! That way I can always look and see what UFOs I have.

When I tear out a card, meaning the quilt is finished, I put the card and a photo in a photo album. Now I have a record of my quilts.

I like to piece more than I like to quilt or bind a project, so I've decided that it's okay to have lots of unfinished projects when I leave this earth. Our foremothers did it (hence the beautiful quilt tops we find in antique stores or at garage sales)! We can do it too. I sew for fun and relaxation. I'll do what I want. Of course, if the quilt is a gift I'll finish it! My
    You're idea is great! I LOVE the attitude about quilting too! "I sew for fun and relaxation"
    Old 06-23-2011, 06:57 PM

Sounds good to me, I keep lists like this all the time.
    Old 06-23-2011, 07:20 PM

Too scary. I don't really want to know how many UFO's I have.
    Old 06-23-2011, 08:06 PM

I have mine in my head. When I finish something, I usually have decided already what I want to do next. Currently working on two quilts and a wall hanging. Started the 3 D pinwheel wall hanging today for a friend's birthday week after next. One of the quilts I've been working on just need to finish the quilting. The other quilt is an antique that my Great Grandmother made the top for me when I was a young girl. It has been stored in my cedar chest for all of these years. Finally decided to put a backing on it and quilt it. I hunted for two years to find the right color of pale yellow for the backing. The top is Sun Bonnet Sue on white blocks with very pastel yellow sashing. I did the quilting on it last week,just need the binding. Having a hard time trying to deciding on the color for binding for this quilt. I hope to have all three done within the next two weeks, then I will start on the memory quilts for my children for Christmas. My patterns are organized in 3 ring binders better than before and fabric is arranged and folded.
    Now I need to give my house a DEEP cleaning. But good excuse it is toooooo hot right now. We've had from 103-117 degrees for the last 17 days and who feels like doing much with this kind of weather. We haven't had ANY rain since last AUGUST!!
    Old 06-24-2011, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by gramarraine
    Earlier this year I was feeling so frustrated with projects all over my sewing area and it didn't seem like I was getting any thing accomplished. I knew I needed to get my projedcts organized so I packed each project in its own container and put them away except one. I decided to just keep one project out and work on it as I could since there wasn't a rush on any of the projects. Since that time I have been able to make a lot of progress on each of the projects. I just get one out at a time and sew on it until I get it done or come to a point that I have to stop for whatever reason. I have found that this helps me more than having a stack of projects out that I look at every day. A list probably wouldn't help me at all.
    It seems I am not accomplishing much also..I often feel overwhelmed. I like your plan and am going to try it.
    Old 06-24-2011, 06:02 AM

I like this plan too.
    Old 06-24-2011, 06:20 AM

Yes - I keep a detailed inventory of everything in bins, drawers, etc. That way I can review and find things.
    Old 06-24-2011, 03:16 PM

What you're suppose to make list oops
    learn something new everyday