Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How large of a  QUILT you would Machine QUILT on regular machine? >
  • How large of a QUILT you would Machine QUILT on regular machine?

• How large of a QUILT you would Machine QUILT on regular machine?

Old 09-24-2011, 05:32 AM

I can't afford to send my quilts out to be quilted, and to be honest I don't really care for the heavy quilting done by LA quilters. I got tired of doing just STD, so I bought the inexpensive Brother SE400 embroidery machine. I bought mine at WalMart if you are interested. The only drawback is it is only 4 x 4 hoop.
    I do over sized queens with that and love how they turn out. It takes a little manuvering, but with the ability to turn the design around on the machine before stitching, it works out. There are tons of outline designs available that I download to my comp then transfer to the machine.
    Old 09-24-2011, 05:41 AM

I have done several full sizes. Plan to do a King.
    Old 09-24-2011, 05:43 AM

I'm in the process of doing two queen size quilts on my little old Kenmore. One is the sampler quilt from the beginning quilting class I took with my sister many years ago when I first discovered quilting. The other one is a tshirt quilt that I'm making for a customer. Basting spray is a good friend, also just added an 8 ft table to my den so I have a much bigger work space and more area to support the quilt so I don't have to break my shoulders. :)
    Old 09-24-2011, 05:43 AM

Queen size was my biggest.
    Old 09-24-2011, 06:05 AM
    Power Poster

Well, believe it or not the largest quilt I machine quilted was an over-size king quilt roughly 110 x 110. Was it my best work - no, did I learn a lot - yes. Some how I managed to get that sucker under the throat plate and did stitch in the ditch quilting. I did try to start in the middle and work outward, but I did the blocks first, then the sashing, which was probably not the right choice. My husband picked out the pattern - a pieced basket crib quilt. I thought, well, I just need to make more blocks, which I did, and when I thought I had sewn enough, my husband decided (after looking at all the basket blocks) that I had become a basket case, hence the name of the quilt -"Basket Case". I didn't really know anyone who quilted, so I just used quilt magazines for help and since no one told me I couldn't do it, I did it. So - for those newbie quilters - just go for it, you'll be glad you did - I certainly was. Besides, after doing an over-sized king quilt, smaller quilts were a breeze. lol
    Old 09-24-2011, 06:07 AM

I have a Juki with a 9" harp and a big sewing table that my DH made for me. I turn my sewing machine and sew from the head. I also roll my quilt from both sides around pvc pipe. I start in the middle and mostly meander. I'm waiting to get my machine dropped into the table, but for now I use what ever I can find that is the same height as my machine for the pipe to slide on. This keeps the quilt level with my machine and much easier to handle. I pin baste and so I need to think which way I will roll the quilt or I get stuck a lot. Planning on trying safety pins with my next quilt. It just takes time, but very rewarding.

using two flooring boxes
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]261535[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-261482.jpe  
    Old 09-24-2011, 06:10 AM

I am like CJO above, have done many, many large quilts on my domestic machine, King size too, and I don't stitch in the ditch, I free motion scribbles or puzzle pieces...its not hard at all, but don't roll the quilt up, it's too cumbersome.
    Old 09-24-2011, 06:19 AM
    JT

Originally Posted by Painiacs
    I just did my first panel and my first attempt at quilting. I used painters tape and did cross hatched pattern. It came out great! I also used the board method to sandwich the layers and no puckers either! Now I want to try SID next!!
    I've been looking for the board method to sandwich. I think Sharon Schamber removed her you tube video. Any chance you can do a tutorial of the process??
    Old 09-24-2011, 06:41 AM

Personally I have a difficult time doing any quilting on my home machine but I have a friend that does all her quilts on her home Bernina. I have seen quilts that were large, king size that she does. They look as nice as those done on a la.
    Old 09-24-2011, 06:42 AM

King. If you take your time and roll and turn, it can be done. Get ready for the back and shoulder pain, at my age it's a sure thing.