Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How Long do your Quilts Take? >
  • How Long do your Quilts Take?

• How Long do your Quilts Take?

Old 04-27-2010, 05:14 AM

I never timed how long it took me. I did one hand appliqued and silk ribbon embroidery amd other embelishment that took 2 years to make, a hand appliqued set of old barns, 1 year/ If I machine piece on. a day of cutting,a day of making the blocks or 2 of a hard block to make. And also acording to the size of quilt I am making. If I hand quilt it It may take a week to do. If machine quilted a half day. then a day to bind it. Jolo
    Old 04-27-2010, 05:38 AM

My quilts can take a year or more because I think about embellishing as I am sewing.
    Ceegee
    Old 04-27-2010, 07:21 AM

I don't really keep a good eye on the time it takes to finish a quilt. And because I work outside of the home, when I find a few minutes here and there you will always find me sewing away at home. I always have a number of different quilts going at the same time and am able to do much of my cutting at work during my lunch hour. I did recently take a fun workshop offered by our guild - to make a scrappy Log cabin quilt. What fun. 16 gals brought in their lights & darks (60 strips ea 1 1/2" x 22 in length) We mixed the lights in one bag and darks in another. Then we all took turns picking out the packs made up of 10 strips each and sat down to make our Log Cabins. We started this on April 3rd, my top was completed the next day, then I started in making the back with what was left over and using some contrasting fabrics to pull them all together. I did at one time have a long arm but didn't enjoy working with it (to restrictive for me) so I sold it and moved back to a long throated Pfaff to quilt my quilts with. Due to work my life in general (as for most of us) the quilt is now all pinned and ready for sewing. But the catch is I have to have it done by this Friday in order to take it with us to Yosemite. Keeping my fingers crossed
    Old 04-27-2010, 07:54 AM

I usually have at least two projects going at a time and I switch back and forth so that I don't get bored with the same project all the time. And every second quilt I make is a cat quilt. Those are usually short projects and they give me a little interlude from my larger projects. It usually takes me about a month to finish a quilt top. I'm disabled and so I have a lot of time to sew.
    Old 04-27-2010, 07:56 AM

My quilts always take me FOREVER!
    Old 04-27-2010, 07:57 AM

I usually work on one for at LEAST a month! I typically piece rather complicated patterns since I love little details. I spend a few days choosing colors, a few days cutting fabric and then begin to piece. I have to take frequent breaks because I get bored doing the same thing over....and over......and over. I don't have any UFO's but I do take my time piecing a quilt. Sometimes if I get tired of looking at the same fabrics, I'll start a second quilt and then it will take me twice as long to finish!
    Old 04-27-2010, 09:01 AM

Gosh, I feel like I am the only one who works on one quilt at a time! I love the process of picking a pattern, picking out the colors and material, and putting them all together. The idea of having two or three going at the same time is scarey! I have to finish each quilt as I make it. Right down to the binding and label. That wonderful feeling of the completed quilt spurs me on to my next project! I really admire those of you that can do so many projects at once. I have made over 100 quilts, and I learn something new every day from all you quilters. You are awesome! And Thanks to you all for the hints, stories and just plain good company.
    Old 04-27-2010, 09:01 AM

I think my longest quilt was a harley davidson applique quilt. It took days just to create and cut out the template for the logo. Then creating all the layers, all the ironing and cutting and stitching. It think it took me a month working on it every night.

My longest block was a bulldog head. Same as above, it took weeks to create the design, cut the template, glue stick / iron the fabric, cut it, layer it and stitch it. It is stll just a block, haven;t decided what to do with it yet. Maybe i'll make one of each bulldog I ever had and then turn it into a quilt - okay that would take over a year :)

see the harley quilt on my website.
    http:\\www.clausingcreations.com
    Old 04-27-2010, 03:59 PM

most of the time i have just one quilt going.At other times i have three or four going . depends on how board i get with each. i love quilts that are challenging and i verry seldome do the same pattern twice when i stick to the simple stuff in get board and don't get it compleat but when i have a challenge i work at it untill it is done the last challange quilt took me two months to complete it a lot to do on it
    if easy is your thing stick to it if it works well for you we each do the same thing only different
    good luck and god bless
    Old 04-27-2010, 04:07 PM
    Power Poster

I seem to always have half a dozen (or more) projects going at once...personal projects, commissioned projects, special requests from friends and family and a stack of quilts to get quilted. once in a while i will put together a quilt in a few days (or hours) but i usually am designing as i go, trying new techniques, changing this and that so most of my quilts are queen -king sized and take months to piece. i also work on hand work all the time (no idle time in my world) and those projects sometimes take a year or more. and my long-arm...no computer...no special rulers, i do have a lazer stylus but very seldom use it.have a stitch regulater...never use it..i quilt like i piece.. i make it up as i go along. I've tried to have a quilt design in mind like, this time i'm going to stipple this one...and i may actually stipple an inch or two...pretty soon though there are loop-d-loops. stars, hearts, flowers...what ever the quilt tells me to do i guess...i feel pretty A.D.D. never do the same thing twice.. and that includes making blocks...everything has to be different...