Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How long does I take you? >
  • How long does I take you?

• How long does I take you?

Old 03-23-2013, 04:48 AM

A picnic quilt. Does this mean it reminds you of a picnic or you will be taking it on a picnic? I guess I'm too protective of traditionally made quilts but I just don't get it to put all that work and expense into a quilt and then abuse it with ketchup, mustard, hot dishes, spilled food or --heaven forbid--putting it on the ground and people walking on it. They sell vinyl tablecloths for picnic use or, if you really need a quilt for such an outing, buy one of those premade ones that some poor woman in a 3rd world country made and they sell for a pitance! IMHO
    Old 03-23-2013, 05:52 AM

OMG feline fanatic, I just looked at your Mariners Compass. THIS IS A SUPER QUILT, GREAT FABRIC CHOICES, AND FANTASTIC QUILTING!
    Thank you for sharing!
    Old 03-23-2013, 06:28 AM

If it is no longer fulfilling, why continue?? If you don't love the doing or the outcome, why continue? Remember, it is the trip , not the destination! Think about why you hand quilt.
    Old 03-23-2013, 10:48 AM

LOL! I have a Dresden Plate that my grandmother started in the 60s. My mother had it for a while in the 70s, then I got it in the 90s. It's still not finished and probably won't be in the forseeable future. It would cover a 1959 Buick--fins and all!
    Old 03-23-2013, 02:38 PM

The king size I did several years ago took three months. It burned me out, so since then I've machine quilted.
    Old 03-23-2013, 05:21 PM

The picnic quilt is a labor of love and what my daughter wanted. I started to tie it but decided (with my mom's influence) to do hand quilting (which she has helped with!) I do enjoy the journey but I've been sidetracked so many times that I'm getting anxious to get this one done. So is my daughter! :-) Thanks for the encouragement!
    Old 03-23-2013, 05:40 PM

Default How long to hand quilt.???

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO
    Does it matter as long as you are having fun. I may do or start another quilt and only hand quilt at a certain time. If time is no object enjoy
    I can usually do a queen size in about four months , If I work every night, while I am watching tV. I use a round Hintenburg and it is easy to turn every which way . cmaras1234...
    Old 03-23-2013, 06:04 PM

I have only kept track of one quilt that I hand quilted. It took me a month quilting 8 hours a day 6 days a week. Have never been able to do that again. I don't remember the reason to work so devotedly on it. I hate to have to put up a quilt for another priority because it is so hard to get back the enthusiasm I first had. Friend crocheted an afghan yrs ago and referred to it as her century afghan...it was taking a century to finish it. At quilt meeting a quilter said she knew a lady who hand quilts a quilt in three DAYS....sure wonder about her technique.
    Old 03-24-2013, 04:01 AM

My quilts done by hand take up to several years to complete. Like you, I have lots of quilts "inside me" that I want to do and I know I only have "x number of years" left - I started machine quilting on my DSM and I love it. I will always have a hand quilt in process but the machine quilting lets me crank out a lot more and I'm lovin' it.
    Old 03-24-2013, 05:22 AM

I just finished a lap quilt that I had a deadline on. It is 42" square. It took me a month from start to finish. A king size took me 4 years because I got sooo tired of the motifs I was quilting. Each quilt is different.