Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How long to learn on your longarm? >
  • How long to learn on your longarm?

• How long to learn on your longarm?

Old 12-09-2011, 06:30 PM

Try some books by Sally Terry, one is Hooked on Feathers, and another one just came out (I have it) but I can't remember the name. She also has a site www.sallyterry.com.

My tips are breath, and be aware that you are probably gripping the handles really tight. LOL that's a hard one to get over when first starting because of nerves.
    Old 12-10-2011, 05:19 AM

I have been LA for 10+yrs...have seen it blossom over time. It has been, in my experience, a constantly learning thing. Someone/thing always comes up with a better way/tool to do something and there we are-practicing it.......Pantos have really developed into wonderful all over designs....my theory is why work at it when you can "copy" what someone else designed and have it look great. But, I do love to "play" on others too. Just take your time, perfect each process as best as you can, don't feel bad if something eludes you today, because maybe tomorrow you brain and hand will work together and it will come out fine.......
    Old 12-10-2011, 05:28 AM

Same here. I find it easier to freehand because I never learned how to do a panto ;-) I need to learn how to set one up.
    Old 12-10-2011, 06:57 AM

My neice bought a long arm about 3 years ago. After the first few weeks she thought she had made a big mistake spending that much money and she thought she would never be able to do it. Her Mother and I encouraged her and told her to practise, practise, practise. She did, and you should see her work now. She has even quilted a quilt for Meg Hawky the owner, designer of Crabapple Hill designs. Her waiting list is about 3 months, but her work is beautiful. Oh and she works 40 hours a week, she is the head nurse at a hospital. She says if she can do it anyone can. She started out with simple designs, once she had mastered them, she picked something a little harder, ect. She does not back stitch either, she takes all the threads to the back of the quilt, after she has quilted it, and ties them off just like a hand quilter does. Just hang in there, and practise and you will be as good as you want to be, whether you just quilt for yourself or want to make money at it.
    Old 01-08-2012, 10:46 PM

Practice makes perfect!! If you are brave enough to try feathers, you are brave enough. DO like I have done,
    and get all sorts of quilting design books, one of my favs is by Sue Patten, she is so talented, you dont have to make yours exactly like hers, but it does help inspiration, when I first started I loved my pantos too, but now, I'm a bit
    more creative, and free motion my own patterns, so dont give up, keep on keepin on!
    katz