Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How Long - start to finish - does it take you to make a quilt? >
  • How Long - start to finish - does it take you to make a quilt?

• How Long - start to finish - does it take you to make a quilt?

Old 07-28-2011, 05:59 AM

Okay this may sound nutty but the quilt tells you. Some want to be done and on their way, others I swear have me rippin' seams til the cows come home just to stay longer. My son asked me to make him a quilt and the pattern was turning twenty. Finished in less than a week!
    Old 07-28-2011, 06:06 AM

My avatar quilt took me years!!!! Actually, I made about 1/2 the blocks and then put it all away because I had guest coming. Then we bought a business and I don't remember what all else happened, but I just didn't get it out, knowing if I did it would be an obsession for me to finish it. So it was about 2 yrs. later that I took it out and finished it. Even then, I used it for awhile before I ever got around to putting the binding on. Unless there's a push to get one finished, I just take my time and ENJOY the journey!!!
    Old 07-28-2011, 06:21 AM

Who care how long it takes to make a quit...just enjoy working and creating something beautiful.
    Old 07-28-2011, 06:46 AM

I have done a quilt in two weeks....another took 10 years....and I am in the 7th year one one that I am working on now. Depends on quilt, the need, and my mood!!!
    Old 07-28-2011, 07:29 AM

It's hard to say. I have been making primarily queen/king quilts. I tie, not machine quilt. Some days, I spend more time then others. On an average I would have to say about 2-3 mths. At times there is something I have to stop and make a lap quilt
    Old 07-28-2011, 09:29 AM

I have had some quilts that took me 8 months to finish because I was embroidering them and then quilting them. I also work full time. My double freedom star also took me nearly 8 months without any embroidering because of the amount of work involved and just how much time a person has to quilt. Don't be discouraged... everybody works at different rates and has different amounts of time to work on their quilts. Some people in my sewing group thought I was quick - I wasn't, I may have had more time to work on them than they did - that's all.
    Old 07-28-2011, 10:05 AM

Depends on the kind of quilt I am making. If a baby quilt which I make a lot of and embroider the blocks when at the lake, then when I want to put it together I can sew it together in a half a day ,put it on the frame and hand quilt it and bind it in a day and half.
    In Jan. I did a quilt for a client and it took me two half months to make a triple kings size Irish chain, from cutting out fabric to hand quilting and binding it.
    Old 07-28-2011, 10:19 AM

Well, let's see.

Wash, dry fabric

iron-well it will sit in the basket for a week or two before I get around to ironing,

then I start cutting, oh-look at that color wouldn't that go good with this other project I'm working one. a couple days before I get back to finishing cutting.

Piecing-going good-until I have a pile of crumbs that I start sewing together, so a couple days later get back to piecing my top.

Then get bored with the pattern and start something else, oh, I really should work on that..

So for me it can take about 4 months to actually finish a twin size top. I get distracted easily-but hey when I'm in a finishing mood I can finish 5-8 in a week.

Oh, to actually quilt it, add another month I get discouraged quickly. Or I send it out to a long armer.
    Old 07-28-2011, 10:36 AM

It takes me ahiwl to make a quilt as well. There are many variables involved: how many projects I have going on at the same time how many pieces I have to piece together for a block, what other things are going on at home, whether I have to go and chase the dog (got out again). Life gets in the way, even simple quilts might take me a long time to finish just because....
    Old 07-28-2011, 01:15 PM

I don't know, It depends on how many sidetrack projects I get to working on. some have taken me years to make. since I hand quilt, I guess the least amount of time has been several weeks.