Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How long would you expect a quilt to last? >
  • How long would you expect a quilt to last?

• How long would you expect a quilt to last?

Old 02-28-2015, 07:38 AM

It all depends on the care it is given. How old is it? I would rather see a well-worn loved quilt than one that has been put on a shelf and forgotten. I make quilts to be used.
    Old 02-28-2015, 07:49 AM

I still have two quilts from when my grandmother made hers while a mid-age mother and I'm 65 now, and it's in great shape, however...I don't use it but maybe twice when it's freezing due to it heavy weight. I'm afraid to wash it and will have to take to an large laundrymat to do it. But others that I've made in last few years have held up great, maybe a little faded and softer but it's loved by user!
    Old 02-28-2015, 08:05 AM
    Power Poster

A few of my quilts were made nearly 30 years ago, I only took them off the beds when I wanted a new quilt or had a request. I made my son a black/bright blue Double Irish Chain when he was 10 or 12, he used that quilt, taking it to the beach, and every time he left home he took it with him (sometimes my kids were boomerang quilts) and he was using it for possibly 20 years, even though the poly batting had thinned out . The very first quilt I made for our DD is about 30 years old, although it has not had a lot of use, but she is planning on passing it down to our DGD at some time. Some of our ancestor's quilts have lasted generations, so I don't think there is a number on how long a quilt will last.
    Old 02-28-2015, 08:06 AM
    Power Poster

I have several utility quilts made from Walmart fabric, Warm and Natural batting and quilted on a regular sewing machine with cheap cotton thread from Walmart.
    They are about 10 yrs old and used daily by my large family. The quilts go to the beach, camping, along to the hospital, used on the lawn, used on the porch, used as play props, sat on and used daily. They are still going strong.

Here is a picture of about 2 years ago when I was using it together with my doggie Nina.
    Attached Thumbnails 153-custom-.jpg  

Last edited by Annaquilts; 02-28-2015 at 08:17 AM.
    Old 02-28-2015, 09:30 AM

I firmly believe that quilts are made to be used and loved, I say that to one and all recipients of my quilt. When they are falling apart the right thing to do is to throw it away (I should apply that principle to my stash!)
    Old 02-28-2015, 12:58 PM

I have a couple of quilts that my grandmother made (circa 1950's) and they are still in good shape. I try to take special care with them, but they are used regularly. I have a couple made in the 60's that are the same way. I have the first quilt I ever made and use it all the time as a picnic quilt. The only ones I have seen that have a problem are the ones with poly batting that were put away and never used. The poly just completely disappeared. when taken apart it was like powder inside the backing and top. So, I think it depends on the quality of materials, the use the quilt gets and the care taken to preserve it.
    Old 03-01-2015, 08:28 AM

Quilts wear out, LQS fabrics or not... Others are correct, it depends on how they are cared for and used. I made one of my first quilts 26 years ago...it's been a dog birthing bed, camping blanket, couch cover & who knows what else...It's a Drunkard's path made with swap fabrics and unbleached muslin (what I could afford). I stacked 10" squares and cut a curve out of them...yep...no pattern...thought it would work to do a sorta stack n cut, then separate and sew pieces together...I did have to cut the blocks down...I used my new to me serger to assemble..ok, I didn't know what I was doing..lol...but that quilt is still together and going strong (hand quilted). I have quilts from the 1910 era...worn in places, but repairable...then grands have quilts for 6 months and need another...all in how they are handled really
    Old 03-01-2015, 08:29 AM

I have doubleknit quilts that will outlast my great grandchildren...lol...They are meant to be abused!
    Old 03-01-2015, 10:24 AM

I frequently make repairs to a crazy quilt my grandmother made for me in around 1960. It is a jumble of different fabrics, mostly rayons, and they keep tearing out along the stitching. I've appliqued so many new patches with cotton that someday it may all be cotton! But I love that grandma made it just for me so I'll keep repairing it.
    Old 03-01-2015, 12:23 PM

I made a Walmart flannel quilt, machine pieced and quilted, cotton/poly batting, about 9 years ago. It's been used as the favorite couch throw for three smelly boys, the dog and cats and myself almost daily. Machine washed and dried probably monthly and I've had to repair a few wear holes in the fabric. Would it have held up better with LQS fabric? Who knows. We all love it and it will be around in all its faded glory for many more years.