Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How to make a bargello small for a wall hanging >
  • How to make a bargello small for a wall hanging

• How to make a bargello small for a wall hanging

Old 12-16-2010, 05:19 AM

Most bargello patterns are for bed-sized quilts but I really want to make a smaller one. I can't really cut the squares smaller because the interior strips are just 1/2" wide, right? Can I just use fewer fabrics, or will the effect be too abrupt and defeat the purpose? I only have space for a 28" x 28" or so. I've been searching forever for a solution to this. Please help!
    Old 12-16-2010, 05:23 AM

Chris Timmins of Australia has a "wall" size pattern called Twisted Bargello.

Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
    Most bargello patterns are for bed-sized quilts but I really want to make a smaller one. I can't really cut the squares smaller because the interior strips are just 1/2" wide, right? Can I just use fewer fabrics, or will the effect be too abrupt and defeat the purpose? I only have space for a 28" x 28" or so. I've been searching forever for a solution to this. Please help!
    Old 12-16-2010, 06:24 AM

I did placemats, sorry I can't post a pic for you, my new digital camera should be under the tree! I cut about 6 fabrics in varying strip widths and sewed them together then repeated until the width was about 6 inches wider than I wanted the placemat to be. Press it nice and flat than sew the last strip to the first strip so there is a big loop of fabric. Lay this down as flat as you can and cut crosswise of the strips so you get little hoops of fabric squares. Pull the stitches from between just one piece so you now have a long piece of fabric, then move up one square and take the stiches out of another strip. As you continue you have lots of strips of fabric of varied wideths and you can place them to create a bargello pattern. When you're happy with the pattern, just trim to the size you want. Going from wide to narrow strips creates gives the movement. If you find a tute for bargello you should be able to add these drections and come up with a usable idea. I'm heading to work but if you want to talk this weekend PM me.