Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How to make time aka DD coming home from college >
  • How to make time aka DD coming home from college

• How to make time aka DD coming home from college

Old 05-15-2010, 07:35 AM

I can kind of relate. Two of my three college students are home now and while they aren't glued to my side, the house feels crowded. Their stuff is everywhere, the rhythm of the three of us who have been here all year is disturbed. If I get up early for some alone time, one of them appears before too long. And there is still another one left to return. As much as I love them, I like my space and quiet too.
    Old 05-15-2010, 05:01 PM

I understand the concern. I've got a grad student living here 5 years after completing her bachelors. She works, but different hours every day. Son #1 just graduated and has a job, so he moved out in March. I was just settling into a quiet house - less laundry, less cooking. Last weekend son #2 came home from college. Son #1 has been home a lot, because his roommates' mother has now moved into the rental house they are sharing. She's from India and will be here 4 months - plus their father is coming this summer for a month too. Nice people but he thought he moved away from PARENTS. Last week it seemed like a party here every night....late nights, friends over, etc.

I WAS SO GLAD today, when husband took Son #2 back to college for 7 weeks of summer school. He'll be back in July, stay for 6 weeks and then go back for the regular term.

I cleaned the sewing area up last night in anticipation for heavy duty sewing on a project tonight and tomorrow.

Ahh Piece and Quiet.....
    Old 05-15-2010, 05:08 PM
    Power Poster

Mines going to be her this Summer too, til she heads to Milwaukee. She will be unemployed during Summer, she worked for the college during school! She's looking for a job, just NOTHING out there! Good luck!
    Old 05-16-2010, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by jraff
    I understand the concern. I've got a grad student living here 5 years after completing her bachelors. She works, but different hours every day. Son #1 just graduated and has a job, so he moved out in March. I was just settling into a quiet house - less laundry, less cooking. Last weekend son #2 came home from college. Son #1 has been home a lot, because his roommates' mother has now moved into the rental house they are sharing. She's from India and will be here 4 months - plus their father is coming this summer for a month too. Nice people but he thought he moved away from PARENTS. Last week it seemed like a party here every night....late nights, friends over, etc.

I WAS SO GLAD today, when husband took Son #2 back to college for 7 weeks of summer school. He'll be back in July, stay for 6 weeks and then go back for the regular term.

I cleaned the sewing area up last night in anticipation for heavy duty sewing on a project tonight and tomorrow.

Ahh Piece and Quiet.....
    that's not really fair. i hope your son's not paying his full share of the rent while this happens. did he know about it beforehand?
    Old 05-16-2010, 04:55 PM

Yes, I warned him that this would happen. And he assured me that it wouldn't be a problem....

We just keep the house door open for when he wants to drop in - dinner or unannounced, but he won't be able to lobby for what the menu is. He'll have to take what I'm serving - without complaint.

He's fortunate that we want to see his dog.
    Old 05-16-2010, 05:13 PM
    Google Goddess

I agree with cjomomma, just go about your time with quilting when they are not there! have fun!

Originally Posted by cjomomma
    The way I see it is that college age kids can take care of themselves. Let them know that you are not their slave any more and that you will continue to do your thing even when they are home.