Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How many don't  join swaps and why >
  • How many don't join swaps and why

• How many don't join swaps and why

Old 02-10-2010, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by tigger5464
    I have only been in one so far and an ongoing one now. I don't joing because of insecurities about my work. :( I sometimes don't feel that my best will be good enough. (I want my blocks and work to look like I really cared enough to everyone who looks at it.) Another reason that I don't join many is financial.
    This is how I feel at times too, but I am doing the doll quilts.
    Old 02-10-2010, 12:23 PM

I haven't joined a swap because I am terrible with deadlines!!!
    Old 02-10-2010, 12:40 PM

Being an old time blogger, I got tired of anything remotely swap-y about five years. Too many tales of woe.

Besides, I have seven active WIPs (at least) and I don't use the chat function here. Not really feeling the vibe.

Oh, and the insecurity about our own work is an excellent point. The Groucho Marx sentiment of not wanting to belong to a club that would have me as a member. :0D Gotta love Groucho.
    Old 02-10-2010, 12:44 PM

I joined the Secret Santa swap, I was really happy with that swap. Now, I'm doing the Doll Quilt, I think that I can handle that one, but nothing bigger. I'm new to quilting, so I'm very afraid that my quilting skills won't be up to par. I warned my partner!! But, I really do enjoy the joy and friendship that has been displayed on this board.
    Old 02-10-2010, 12:57 PM

I have participated in 4 swaps so far, with another 2 signed up for March. My blocks were welcomed with enthusiasm, and my doll quilts got thanks and kudos. I am NOT a LQS fabric buyer....I buy from WalMart, Hancock and Joann's before anywhere else. The ladies on the swaps are so generous with their praise and encouragement. If someone is not yet as skilled technically, they don't care. They all provide encouragement, and if asked for honest criticism, give it gently and constructively. I have never heard anyone complain about a doll quilt they received, how it was made, etc. When doing the block swap, I do only use 100% cotton with a good hand so that it will go with other blocks. That doesn't mean I spend $10 a yard, either. I had a secret person on a quilt swap for November/December, and although I sent mine to her, she did not send to her secret person...this was not a specified "partners" swap. But, the coordinator arranged for some "angels" to make some extra quilts, and everyone who participated got one in return. The people on this board who regularly coordinate swaps are trustworthy, hardworking people who make rules for everyone to follow, and are encouraging to "newbies".

Don't be afraid to try one of the swaps here...they are fun, and like several have said, the friendships and fun on the message exchanges is worth every minute spent sewing the blocks or little quilts.
    Old 02-10-2010, 02:29 PM

Amen!
    Old 02-10-2010, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
    I have participated in 4 swaps so far, with another 2 signed up for March. My blocks were welcomed with enthusiasm, and my doll quilts got thanks and kudos. I am NOT a LQS fabric buyer....I buy from WalMart, Hancock and Joann's before anywhere else. The ladies on the swaps are so generous with their praise and encouragement. If someone is not yet as skilled technically, they don't care. They all provide encouragement, and if asked for honest criticism, give it gently and constructively. I have never heard anyone complain about a doll quilt they received, how it was made, etc. When doing the block swap, I do only use 100% cotton with a good hand so that it will go with other blocks. That doesn't mean I spend $10 a yard, either. I had a secret person on a quilt swap for November/December, and although I sent mine to her, she did not send to her secret person...this was not a specified "partners" swap. But, the coordinator arranged for some "angels" to make some extra quilts, and everyone who participated got one in return. The people on this board who regularly coordinate swaps are trustworthy, hardworking people who make rules for everyone to follow, and are encouraging to "newbies".

Don't be afraid to try one of the swaps here...they are fun, and like several have said, the friendships and fun on the message exchanges is worth every minute spent sewing the blocks or little quilts.
    I couldnt agree with you more about the swaps on here(of course I have never done anywhere else) but I am NOT experienced and everyone has always been very encouraging and generous with their praise at my efforts. I think it makes me try harder. I am working on my doll quilt now(I sure hope it turns out ok..I have never done one before). I would suggest if people have the time and can afford to send out of their stash and postage, to go for it.

Margie
    Old 02-10-2010, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by pookie ookie
    Oh, and the insecurity about our own work is an excellent point. The Groucho Marx sentiment of not wanting to belong to a club that would have me as a member. :0D Gotta love Groucho.

:) Yep, I can see this as a reason for me to be hesitant!
    Old 02-10-2010, 04:27 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lucky Patsy's "Mom"
    I haven't joined a swap because I am terrible with deadlines!!!
    That is actually one of the reasons why I did join. It keeps me on my feet.

Another reason why I did join (which I know is not the original question) was that it gives me a chance to try new patterns and new colors. The swap forces me out of my comfort zone for a few minutes.

I use the swap to try out new blocks and I can decide whether I want to make them into a quilt or not. If yes, I have a chance to work out some of the kinks. I no, then I can send the block off with a happy heart, and I am not committed to ever doing it again.

My interest is more in the block swap - not fabric swap.
    Old 02-10-2010, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by jljack

Amen...... I could not have said this better.....EVERYONE here has been nice and I have joined two block swaps and now the doll quilt, I am a newbie but this has been a wonderful learning experience for me. Friendship has been the best... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: