Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How many don't  join swaps and why >
  • How many don't join swaps and why

• How many don't join swaps and why

Old 02-11-2010, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by tigger5464
    I have only been in one so far and an ongoing one now. I don't joing because of insecurities about my work. :( I sometimes don't feel that my best will be good enough. (I want my blocks and work to look like I really cared enough to everyone who looks at it.) Another reason that I don't join many is financial.
    Tigger, you were my secret santa and I want to say if it was your first swap (was my second by the way), I was very pleased and thrilled with what you sent me. You did a great job of selecting just the right stuff. Loved everything.

I think sometimes I am not good enough or select just the right stuff but then I look at some of the others on this site....some are absolutely fabulous and I will never equal them or their quilts, while some are really way behind my level of skill so I think in the end it works out pretty equal. Just remember that it was the thought and care that other person put in to your presents and if it is not to your liking, pass it on to another recipient....."one's trash is someone else's treasure" after all!
    Old 02-11-2010, 02:27 PM

A few years ago I was in a swap. The hostess was well thought of and an avid poster. We sent in our fq and never heard from the woman again. The list owner did nothing to help us - it was actually a lot of money involved. We sent qs fq - I don't remember how many, but a lot and there were 20 of us!!!
    I am now an unwashed hostess on Quiltville swap. We have a washed and unwashed hostess. We do color strip swaps, & this month we are doing a Chunky Churndash block swap. Next month is a 30's fq swap. I made 2 of each 55 blocks I made - I kept one set, the other sets will be swapped. We have rules on quilt shop quality, no Joannes, etc, and I have some lovely blocks to swap. On the other hand, my washed hostess went mia a few years back and there really wasn't anything I could do. She wasn't answering emails and she was moving. Luckily it was just a few people involved, but I felt horrible.
    It sounds like this site is a good home for swapping.
    Judi
    Old 02-11-2010, 02:28 PM
    dsj

The idea of a swap sounds like fun, it would be a surprise package each time you receive one. I don't have the time to start or finish them and I would be the worst to send something out. I am the worst with sending Birthday wishes, I will think about it then get completely distracted and forget to get them in the mail. I would be the one to ruin the fun for someone. I am confessing I am hopeless when it comes to mailing things on time.
    Old 02-11-2010, 03:57 PM
    Banned

Just a comment, sorry if I make someone mad,I would love to do something like that, I am teaching my self to quilt, but I been off work for over a year from a back injury, we lost our house, we lost everything, so if I could afford fabric, Im sorry to say it would be cheap fabric, that dose not say I would do bad work but not as good as some on here, some of the comments on here including the complaint about dollar fabric turned me off to ever doing a swap. some pepole just cant aford fabric, its not that they do it on perpous.
    Old 02-11-2010, 03:59 PM
    Banned

sorry learning disabled cant spell ether
    Old 02-11-2010, 04:42 PM

:? I have been in several swaps that were regulated as to what to send i.e. charms with bugs or charms with butterflies. Both of them turned out well. I'm not joining any more as I find the postage will eat you up, not to mention the time involved, then there is the problem you may have to go out and buy the specified item. Silvia
    Old 02-11-2010, 04:55 PM

I have been in a few swaps. Most turned out well and a few were duds. The duds just gave me something to chuckle about. I do it more for the fun and fellowship than the end product I receive. Although I do like to get good stuff! I always do my best work and try to send what others would like. There is always the fear of being seen as inferior.
    Old 02-11-2010, 05:46 PM
    Power Poster

One thing about the doll quilt swaps, you can use any fabric you want, prewash or not, embelish, don't embelish, the sky is the limit as to pattern, design, ideas, and any skill level is welcome, and it is a good way to get your feet wet :wink: I love all of my little quilts :D:D:D

Most of the block swaps specify a good quality fabric, but these can be found at JoAnn's, Walmart, Hobby Lobby, etc... and everyone acknowledges there will be different skill levels :wink: I prewash, but starch the fabric so it is easier for me to work with :D I have loved all of my blocks that I have received :D:D:D
    I will continue to join the swaps posted here. Everyone is very encouraging, it is fun and exciting chatting about them while making, sending and receiving them :D:D:D
    Old 02-11-2010, 05:50 PM

I haven't been in any swaps, because I have always believed that I would, FOR SURE, send the wrong thing! I have a friend in Washington who has, and she's always complaining about the fabric choices she gets. It's mostly just a headache I want to avoid.
    Old 02-11-2010, 05:58 PM
    Power Poster

I just received blocks from another board swap I was in. I have allergies and can't smell anything but these were so smelly from smoke i could smell it. I open the envelope here at my desk and after throwing the blocks in a sink of water i came back to desk and could still smell the smoke. Had to get out the Mr. Clean.
    Be very careful if you smoke or have cats.