Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How many don't  join swaps and why >
  • How many don't join swaps and why

• How many don't join swaps and why

Old 02-12-2010, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by purplemem
    Originally Posted by suesews
    How do you join a swap on this forum? I'm new here, and it sounds like fun, but I don't know where to go to see what is available to join.

Sue
    go to the section for swaps, to get there you go to "home", then under categories go to "member swaps". Scroll down to see what is still "open". I know the One block/month is open. We get new partners every month. I really like it. There are lots of people on it willing to swap more than one.
    Suesews, I hope you will give it a try. What I have been involved in here has been a positive experience. I think they are very careful about the expectations and fulfilling the requirements. The swaps here have been enjoyable.
    Old 02-12-2010, 10:07 AM
    Power Poster

Like a couple of the others, my reason for not joining swaps is two-fold:
    1 - I cannot physically keep up an meet deadlines. my health problems are chronic...they flare, and too unpredictable.
    2 - While it is admirable, enjoyable, etc. etc. to see so much giving and generosity on this forum, on a fixed income, I am not able to give as much.
    So many of the block swaps are not just blocks sent. There are some wonderful gifts, lovely gifts. but, I just don't have the funds to reciprocate.
    So I sit on the sidelines and work on my WIP's and get entertainment and share in the joy of watching those than can participate.
    These swaps are really inspiring too. :thumbup:
    Old 02-12-2010, 04:58 PM

I haven't been on this site very long and usually just read the posts. But this topic and all the replies really got to me. I have struggled with low self esteem for years and had no idea there were so many "sisters" in the same boat. Do you suppose men have the same feelings of inadequacy or do they just hide it better? As for the swaps, I've participated in half a dozen or more in the last few years. I like the block swaps and have been more than pleased with what I received. Some more than others I must admit but just the joy and pleasure of getting blocks from all parts of the country and out of the country too makes it all worthwhile to me!! So many different fabrics...it's just mind-boggling. Now I have joined the doll swaps. I just finished my first one. Previous posts have raised a lot of questions for me. I do have pets but I also make sure I wash,dry and put my quilts in a bag before mailing them. Just as I do with the Downy quilts. But I will make a point of asking my future partners what their preferences are in regard to prewashing, etc. I'm a prewasher and starcher myself but am willing to do forego that if necessary. I am really excited about this doll swap and I just know I will be pleased with mine.
    Old 02-12-2010, 05:15 PM
    Banned

maybe I will join one sometime,but like I said earlyer I dont have money Ive been off work for a yr from my back , and I just had my back surgery last wk, and I to got upset with some of the coments on this board, because I have lost everything do to that injury. before that injury I was makeing $17.00 an hr. and that is why the dollor comment really got to me, because I dont agree that you have the right to judge others if they cant get the fabric you can get at the time, but then again Ive always been its the thought that counts type
    Old 02-12-2010, 05:21 PM
    Banned

you are a very speical person nena
    Old 02-12-2010, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
    Originally Posted by purplemem
    Originally Posted by suesews
    How do you join a swap on this forum? I'm new here, and it sounds like fun, but I don't know where to go to see what is available to join.

Sue
    go to the section for swaps, to get there you go to "home", then under categories go to "member swaps". Scroll down to see what is still "open". I know the One block/month is open. We get new partners every month. I really like it. There are lots of people on it willing to swap more than one.
    There is also a new swap that just started Signature Siggies. You might want to check that one out also.

Suesews, I hope you will give it a try. What I have been involved in here has been a positive experience. I think they are very careful about the expectations and fulfilling the requirements. The swaps here have been enjoyable.
    Old 02-12-2010, 10:23 PM

I've done several swaps on the board and have been please with all the blocks I've received. There are a few that are a tad off but that's okay because not everyone is perfect, I know I'm not.
    I do shop at three LQS but have no problem buying from JoAnn's or Walmart if the fabric feels good and I can't see through it.
    I look at each block that I receive as a gift from a cyber friend and appreciate the time and effort that they put into it.
    Old 02-13-2010, 07:24 AM

[quote=I look at each block that I receive as a gift from a cyber friend and appreciate the time and effort that they put into it.[/quote]

Amen!
    Old 02-13-2010, 08:12 AM

For a time, I had a ball doing swaps.......really met a lot of fun people "on board". But there were some really undependable folks on the last one I did which really wasn't fair to many. They took their turn, but didn't return the favor to other's.
    I do have a lot of swap blocks to finish into tops and doubt I will enter swaps again.......partly because of the postage involved and partly because I am responsible and I have a hard time with those who are not... :(
    Old 02-13-2010, 10:16 AM

I LOVE the block swaps!!!! My most cherished quilts are from the swaps. I am not real concerned with the quality of fabric or even workmanship. What thrills me is the fact that I end up with a wonderful quilt made with blocks from wonderful people all over the world!!! These quilts wont get any wear and tear on them because they are treasures that I will cherish the rest of my life. I just wish I had more time to get in more swaps!!!!! :-D