Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • how many layers are too many >
  • how many layers are too many

• how many layers are too many

Old 03-28-2014, 04:50 PM

Default how many layers are too many

How many layers are too many to sew through? I was making a hot pad, but quilted it too densely. I was also quilting through 3 layers of batting plus top and bottom fabric. Is this too much? Can it damage a new machine ?
    Old 03-28-2014, 05:19 PM

Depends on which machine you have. If you've got a Bernina with a strong DC motor and a chain drive, yes, you can.

But, those with the plastic drop-in bobbin don't do so well with lots of layers. I've seen the needle go right through those plastic bobbins, so many times. And if you've got an inexpensive machine, the metal is cheap, and won't hold the needle bar timing setting.

So, how it could damage the machine? It could throw off the timing, or put a burr on the hook.

Gook Luck with your project.
    Old 03-28-2014, 05:20 PM

If your machine can sew through it I see no problem. Use a big needle like size 16 or 18. You may want to loosen the pressure on the foot. One thing to keep in mind can you fold the hot pad easily like when you go to grab a pot handle. I made a few that had plenty of insulation but were tough to make the fold around the handles of pots.
    Old 03-28-2014, 05:25 PM

I agree that it depends upon your machine. I've sewed/quilted many hot pads with many layers (up to 6 with batting, insulbrite and out fabrics and sometimes adding binding) as well as heavy denim and canvas on my machine .... but it's an older Kenmore (with plastic bobbins). Good luck!
    Old 03-28-2014, 06:39 PM

I've used 3-4 layers for a hot pad,and had no trouble sewing through it. If you quilted it too densely, though, it may not have the protection from heat that you expected. If your sewing machine is not objecting, go ahead and sew through it.
    Old 03-28-2014, 09:59 PM

I have sewed through quite a bit of batting, even on my cheapie plastic brother, and none of my cheapies have ever been in for sewing through multiple layers of batting and have never needed timing adjustment. It should be able to handle it fine. I would use a walking foot and go slower on the cheaper machine than the higher end ones
    Old 03-29-2014, 05:15 AM

The machine didn't seem to have any trouble except the bobbin sounded like it was bouncing a bit. Its a baby lock elizabeth, so I hope I didn't do any damage. I think next time I'll just do 2 layers of batting, and less quilting.
    Old 03-29-2014, 05:17 AM
    Power Poster

I have sewn through many layers of batting and fabrics while making purses on my dinky mechanical brother. Low end. Love that machine. And I do have a bunch of vintage machines.
    Old 03-29-2014, 06:07 AM

Ok, so I shouldn't worry then. How many layers do you sew through while making purses? just curious
    Old 03-29-2014, 07:19 AM
    Power Poster

Well there are four layers of fabric and two of batting and when the straps are inserted there are two more layers of batting and two more of fabric. Sometimes I have to "help" those really thick parts through. I've made 4 purses like that on the dinky Brother. So far no problems.