Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How Many Machines Do You Have/Use? >
  • How Many Machines Do You Have/Use?

• How Many Machines Do You Have/Use?

Old 07-03-2014, 08:04 AM

I have three - my Janome 6600 that I have at home in Minnesota; a Janome Jem Platinum that is at our condo in Hawaii; and my latest purchase, a Baby Lock Tiara. That's all I need and have room for.
    Old 07-03-2014, 08:07 AM

I have one vintage Singer which I love. I have an "every day" Brother machine that I use 99.9% of the time. I have a Brother embroidery machine which I have used a LOTe. Then I have a Brother that is mostly used for quilting that I really haven't used much at all. I really favor my "every day" machine the most! But all of them work well and I love the Brother brand. So my total is 4 machines.
    Old 07-03-2014, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
    I have about 30 and use them ALL. I rotate them. If I don't use one in a year, I sell it. That opens a slot for a new one:>
    Me too, Candace!

Although, I do not use all of them... yet. All of my machines were purchased on Craigslist except my Bernina Record which was given to me new in 1974.

I don't fault those who think it's silly to own more than one machine. Many people do not realize the incredible history sewing machines are. DH and I have met the most wonderful people in our ventures to pick up our vintage machines. My main machines that I use are my Artista 200, my FW, Bernina Record 830, Singer 66 portable and my Singer 301A. All of these take turns traveling to my grandchildren's homes with me. Some of my grandchildren will not think it strange to own more than one machine. LOL When I last told my 8 year old DGS my count was 30 machines he said, "that is amazing Grandma!" with all of the gusto he could muster up. Warmed my heart!
    Old 07-03-2014, 08:24 AM
    Power Poster

I have three bernina's a janome I bought my niece and she uses when she is here, and my mother's old singer in a round top wooden case. I personally only use the bernina's a used 730 Record, artista 200 and a auroa 440QE. Oh, and a janome serger.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 07-03-2014 at 08:31 AM.
    Old 07-03-2014, 09:44 AM

I have 4 machines. I use my Janome 6600 almost 100% of the time. I have an older Janome that I only break out if my husband needs clothes patched and I don't want to swap out the thread/needle in my 6600. I have a Janome sew mini that I only use for papercrafting. And I have a featherweight that is basically a door stop. I need to grease it up and use it once in a while but it's loud for some reason and I can't figure out why (it's been serviced).
    Old 07-03-2014, 09:46 AM

I forgot that I also have a brother embroidery machine that I only use for making quilt labels.
    Old 07-03-2014, 09:53 AM

Hmm... how many machines do I have? I have five vintage Singers: two 15-91, 128, 15-125 (mint green), 301A; a Brother Pacesetter, an older Baby Lock, a BL serger and two Singer machines I bought to teach my granddaughter and nieces to sew on. Oh and I have a locked Brother CS6000i machine which lasted less than 1 year. Technically 11, not many.

The Singer 128 and one of the 15-91's need new wires and I just found a wonderful retired repairman who is looking to tinker on some machines and will rewire both of these machines for a reasonable price. I will probably sell this 15-91 once it gets rewired. I will more than likely gift the older Baby Lock sewing machine to someone. The Brother repair shop said the CS6000i wasn't worth repairing. Not sure what I am gonna do with this one as I hate to toss it out so soon but.....

I sew on my 15-91 and 301A most and have them both set up with different projects. I just got the Pacesetter so will give it a run to see how it sews. The two machines I bought to teach the young'uns to sew on, if they appear to enjoy the craft, I will gift these machines to them. My future sewing machine quests are a FW, a higher end computerized machine (no embroidery though) and a sit down quilter.
    Old 07-03-2014, 11:32 AM

I have 2. I bought a Elna Quilters Dream in 1999 (I tihnk) but upgraded to a Janome 6600P this past fall. I love having more throat space. If I add to this list it would be to get a Juki2010, but my family would gasp. Maybe I'll hide it in the closet when they come over.
    Old 07-03-2014, 02:40 PM

I have a 1927 Singer model 99, a 1939 Singer treadle (also a model 99), 6 - Singer 221 Featherweights (4 black -- a 1936, a Centennial model made in 1950, but with the badge, a 1951 which I plan to have painted purple someday, and a 1952, my "birthday" machine; 1 white/celery and 1 tan), a 1971 Singer model 237, an off-brand that my DMIL bought for me because it had more bells and whistles than my 237; a Brother Deco embroidery machine, a Bernina embroidery/sewing machine (the model escapes me), a Bernina Aurora model 240 and a Bernina Aurora model 440QE. And I have 2 sergers.

I have used the treadle, and would like to use it some more. Once I get my feet coordinated, it sews smoothly and has a very nice stitch. I use the 440QE at home, unless I started a project at a retreat, class or workshop with another machine. I take the 240 to classes if I need something other than a straight stitch, otherwise, I take one of my Featherweights. I use the white one the most at home, but try to give them all a chance to come out and play. I never used the machine my MIL gave me, but I won't give it up, because she was the best MIL in the world. And no longer use the 237. I haven't done anything with either of the embroudery machines.

I also gave my son a Bernette and my daughter an older Bernina.

Last edited by mckwilter; 07-03-2014 at 02:46 PM.
    Old 07-03-2014, 03:07 PM

A dozen machines