Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How many places is (new) fabric available near where you live? >
  • How many places is (new) fabric available near where you live?

• How many places is (new) fabric available near where you live?

Old 07-19-2009, 06:06 AM

You are right Terri, I can't afford LQS and anyway there are none around here. I like to have a stash of sorts and if I had to pay 6 to 10 dollars a yard I wouldn't be able to do that. I am getting laid off the end of the month so will have to sew with the stash I have. I am glad that I was able to build it up and Walmart has had some good buys, I am constantly watching the sale bin and the $1.50 a yard stuff for deals.
    Old 07-19-2009, 06:56 AM

There is a Walmart 5 miles away, LQS are 40 & 65 miles away. I buy what I can afford, when I can afford it. I love going to the LQS to stock up. The one in Hodgekiss has half off sales on everything in the store about two times a year, that's when I go at 6 am and build up my stash and buy my notions, thread, books. It's a fun trip and all in my guild go.
    Old 07-19-2009, 06:57 AM

The whole "I can't afford anything but walmart fabric" doesn't really wash. I bought fabric for 3.50 a yard at one of my local quilt stores a week ago and at another LQS friday.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    The whole "I can't afford anything but walmart fabric" doesn't really wash. I bought fabric for 3.50 a yard at one of my local quilt stores a week ago and at another LQS friday.
    would love to have buys like that around here. The LQS that I went to a few months ago closed ( they were open less than 1 year) and the cheapest they had was $9.00 a yard. No charm packs jelly rolls or anything , a few books and very few notions. They did offer classes but closed before I could take any. We live in a fairly rural area so have to do with what we can find.
    Old 07-19-2009, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Well, I'm glad you found something like that at your local LQS. There ARE some people who CANNOT afford it. Be it what it may.
    You are one of the fortunate ones that can afford it and/or has an LQS in your area. Where I live, there are no LQS's for me to shop at, so I am forced to shop at Ben Franklin or online.

I have been to Quilt Shops and have found NOTHING less than $8/yard. No sales, no nothing. Actually, didn't see anything in the shop that I liked, not even the people that worked there.
    Old 07-19-2009, 07:15 AM

Right on Terri, The gals at Walmart are great! One even sold me the last of the fabric I needed for a quilt that she had bought. She brought it in the next day for me. They assure me because we have a good size Amish population that their fabric dept will remain open.
    Old 07-19-2009, 07:19 AM

Lucky here in the Quad Cities too!! Two LQS 10 minutes away..2 more across the river 20 minutes away. But there is one great one in Fulton, IL, that's 45 minutes from my home. They display all the bolts of fabric in baby cribs and some along one wall. It's always a special day when a carload makes the trip there!!
    Old 07-19-2009, 07:19 AM

I live in an extremely rural area. The closest JoAnn's is 2.5 hours one way. The closest Hobby Lobby is 2 hours one way. The closest LQS that's open is 30 miles one way.

All quilt stores have sales sooner or later. Most all of the LQS in this area even have email newsletters so you always know when they're having a sale.

I have a lot of sympathy for people that can't afford even 3.50 a yard for quality fabric. I have bought fabric as low as 1.00 a yard in LQS. I suppose you have to be willing to go to the LQS on a regular basis so you know when they put fabric on super clearance.

I am on a first name basis and am friends with at least 4 store owners.
    Old 07-19-2009, 07:24 AM

I have a lot of sympathy for people that can't afford even 3.50 a yard for quality fabric.

no need for sympathy- I am happy with what I can get and have so much fun sewing it together, My friends and grand kids appreciate my work no matter what I pay.
    Old 07-19-2009, 07:25 AM

Well, must be nice.
    The nearest LQS to me is an 8 hour flight.
    I think it takes about 2 weeks by kayak, not sure, haven't tried it yet....dont think I will either.

You are lucky you have the fund/means to shop where you want to. There are those that are on tight budgets and get what they can when they can to supply their hobby.
    We don't FROWN on anyone who shops Walmart or other places. We don't like quilt police here, never have.
    I'm done with this subject,,,,,,nuff said.