Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How many places is (new) fabric available near where you live? >
  • How many places is (new) fabric available near where you live?

• How many places is (new) fabric available near where you live?

Old 07-19-2009, 09:56 AM

I'm out in a rural area, but still have over two dozen independent quilt shops within an easy drive! :D

Within 10 Minutes:
    There are two really nice shops

Within 20 minutes:
    An Additional 10 shops

About an Hour away:
    At least 12 more shops

And LOTS more a little over an hour from my house.

That DOES NOT incluude:
    Many Joanns, including Superstores.

LOTS of Walmarts, I do not buy anything at Walmart. I do however, like all Washington state residents, subsidize their multi-billion dollar enterprise with tax-payer dollars while watching them drive out local family companies. We call it, "The High Price of Low Cost" :(
    Old 07-19-2009, 10:06 AM

Wow you can't be to rural or else you live in an area where quilting is very popular, I would have to drive about 100 miles one way to find any LQS. Nothing around here makes it for very long.
    Old 07-19-2009, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    The whole "I can't afford anything but walmart fabric" doesn't really wash. I bought fabric for 3.50 a yard at one of my local quilt stores a week ago and at another LQS friday.
    Sounds like you were quite lucky, but that is not the norm. I live/work within 25 miles of more than 10 LQSs and NOT ONE HAS EVER HAS ANY FABRIC LESS THAN $5 A YARD in the last few years and that is only the older or discontinued fabric (not that there is anything wrong with that). In addition, the local Ben Franklin sells the older/discontinued quilt shop quality fabric also for $5 a yard. However, I have found some really nice stuff at Walmart for about $3 a yard, and it is not thin, it is quite nice to work with.

I have purchased online from Whittles or Fabric.com for $3.50 to $5, but then you have to add shipping.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
    Wow you can't be to rural or else you live in an area where quilting is very popular, I would have to drive about 100 miles one way to find any LQS. Nothing around here makes it for very long.

I am rural, but live in Western Washington which has a lot to offer - especially quilt shops! :D There are over 60 quilt shops on this side of the state, so having a couple dozen within easy reach is not too surprising.

Here's a link that shows some, but not all the shops:

http://www.westernwashingtonquiltsho...9mapwwqsh.html

Old 07-19-2009, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by AtHomeSewing
    I'm out in a rural area, but still have over two dozen independent quilt shops within an easy drive! :D

LOTS of Walmarts, I do not buy anything at Walmart. I do however, like all Washington state residents, subsidize their multi-billion dollar enterprise with tax-payer dollars while watching them drive out local family companies. We call it, "The High Price of Low Cost" :(
    It seems lots of people willl fight tooth and toenail to put their friends and neighbots out of jobs to pay "the high price of low cost." It's not just local companies they put out of business. It's whole manufacturers. That's why every thing is made overseas now.

I'm kind of sorry I said anything and got people's back all up.
    Old 07-19-2009, 12:37 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Bevanger
    Originally Posted by dunster
    Originally Posted by Bevanger
    I'm about 10 mins from Joanns and 15 mins from Walmart. That's all we have here, Just the 2. Otherwise I'd have to go to Port Townsend which is an hour away
    Bev, what about the Quilted Strait? We visited it last October, and it seemed to be a lovely quilt shop, and very friendly. Isn't it still there? I hope they haven't gone out of business!
    Hi Sunshine. Quilted Strait IS still here. I just can't afford to walk in there. Ashamed to say that, but true. I go to Walmart first unless Joanns has a sale on something I need. I really should just go into QS. Maybe I'll suprise myself huh?
    Bev, don't feel bad about not paying high prices when you can do better elsewhere. However, quilt shops usually have things on sale from time to time, and it's definitely worth the time to go in if only to see the quilts on display. It gets the creative juices flowing. You might also meet other quilters inside.
    Old 07-19-2009, 12:45 PM

WE have to remember along with privately owned shops our friends and families also work at places like walmart to support their families. I support all places I can afford so that my friends can stay employed also.
    Old 07-19-2009, 02:13 PM

I'm fairly new to Central PA, so I maybe haven't found all the fabric shops around yet, but I gather there aren't many. I just went to one LQS yesterday. It was 12 miles away. The shop where I took my beginner class is 23 miles away, in Hershey (I somehow manage to just go to the LQS there and not stop to see the chocolate.) There is a fabric outlet about 15 minutes away that I haven't seen yet, and three Jo-Ann's Fabrics within 10 miles.

I'd be willing to drive a few hours to grab some of the fabrics from a Wal-mart that's still selling them. While I deplore their practices re offshoring and keeping their employees without benefits, etc., the fact is that I cannot find fabric with small flower prints that were around all my life - until this year when I started quilting. I'm not an online shopper, so if no one else is carrying what I want, hey. Not to mention that I appreciate the lower prices, since I'm unemployed myself.

I still drive a couple of hours to the Philadelphia area a couple of times a month. Haven't made it to a fabric shop there yet, but I keep intending to. There are a number of them.

Surely there are Amish fabric shops in Lancaster County? I haven't made it there yet, and it's not something I'd do regularly, but I'd like to see what they have.

Oh, to find a store that carries the school bus yellow-orange solid I need in 100% cotton!
    Old 07-19-2009, 03:22 PM

Well lisanne, i dont know just where you are located but there is a fantastic quilt shop outside of Lititz Pa. anotherr one in Kutztown, and another one in Morgantown just off the turnpike before going into Phila. Good Luck in your search. Marge (Who visits all the Amish Quilt shops as often as I can.)
    Old 07-19-2009, 09:08 PM

Close around me is W/M, about 10 minutes away. All the other places are 50 miles or more.
    My g/f and I were so happy to hear that we're getting a Hobby Lobby.. it's not in our town, but it's in our state and we can drive there if needed!