Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How many places is (new) fabric available near where you live? >
  • How many places is (new) fabric available near where you live?

• How many places is (new) fabric available near where you live?

Old 07-23-2009, 07:59 AM

There is a WalMart close to my parents' house that still has all it's fabric, it's about 45 mins away. Closer to me, there is a WalMart, with mostly quilting fabric left, LQS (that I know of) within 10 mins of my house, and I work part time in a fabric store as my second job, Fabricville, I think that's kind of like JoAnns, and that's 3 mins from my house by car... including getting out of my garage and parking in the lot.
    Old 07-23-2009, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by mrs. fitz
    We have really nothing. I'm in northern NJ, right across from Manhattan which has the City Quilter, a wonderful shop, but it means a trip into the city. There are fabric stores in the garment district but it's 99% clothing fabric. I've looked in some of the shops and never seen anything that would be suitable for quilting.

Right now I'm trying to mark some pieces and need a white marker. There's no place to buy one; the whole project is on hold until a bunch of us make up a trip to the closest Joann's, about an hour away.
    My old issue of Quilter's Travel Companion has 14 featured shops and another 27 shops listed for New Jersey. I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't even more shops by now.
    Old 07-23-2009, 08:25 AM

Nothing in this area. Several shops down the shore, I know there are some in the Princeton area, but around this very busy area nothing. I did forget one place -- a sort of fabric warehouse which has mostly upholstery fabric but has one area of quilting cottons. Fabrics are sold pre-cut, 3 and 4 yard pieces, for either $3 or $4/yard and some are well known brands. About every six weeks there's a sale where everything is 40% off. Selection is very limited but I did get two 4-yard lengths, one in a green-on-green and the other the same in red, which will make good backings. Came to just over $2/yard. But as I said, selection is very limited. I've been to two of their sales and last time picked up a 4-yard beige, got it home, and wondered all the way what had spilled in the car that gave it such an odor. It was the fabric. I thought it might have been stored somewhere that an animal got to it and made it home. Washing it twice finally removed the odor but I know if I go back to be very, very careful with what I purchase.
    Old 07-23-2009, 08:55 AM

Bear, there are several quilt shops, JoAnns, Hancock, Hobby Lobby and still one Wal-M with in 15 minutes of me, and of course my stash is over flowing. This is in Spring, Texas.
    Old 07-23-2009, 08:58 AM

Our Wal-mart here no longer has fabric. :evil: So I have to go about an hour in either direction. I do have the internet but, I am more likely to go overboard using it. It is a wonderful thing to be able to shop in your jammies. On the other hand, if I am in the store I can "pet" without actually buying.

I have probably never actually introduced myself, sorry. :oops: So I'm Patty. Hello from central Illinois.
    Old 07-23-2009, 09:24 AM

Our Walmart closed the fabric dept. over a year ago. The next closest Walmart's are 45 minutes one way and 90 minutes the other. Both are via interstate.
    Next QS is about 45 minutes and is very low end. Not much selection on hard goods either.
    The other fabris store nearby is mostly for interior or she buys the end of bolt fabrics. Some of her fabrics are 20 + years old!
    The nicest QS is almost two hours away via interstate in Fincastle, VA., Old Trinity School House. She has a marvelous selection, very helpful, and is selling the place.
    The next one is in Staunton, VA. Rachels QS is fantastic and so comfortable feeling. They also have a feline roaming the store which for me is the way I would have it except I would add a dog. She is almost three hours away. So, you see, I am in a quandry. I am sure there are other QS I don't know about, but hope to find when I can afford gas for that many miles.
    Old 07-23-2009, 09:34 AM

There is a Joann's an hour from me, a WalMart, half hour, and a raved about middle of nowhere shop with 5,000 bolts to choose from a half hour away. I heard quilters come from far and wide to visit. I actually used to live fifteen minutes from the last one, and a neighbor and friend worked there so she could get a fabric discount. At the time I thought she was just some superwoman who could do neat crafty things I wasn't capable of. We both had 3 small children then. Now I am afraid to go see it, for fear I would go crazy with my pocketbook! I know it's only a matter of time...
    Old 07-23-2009, 09:34 AM

i HAVE TO TRAVEL ABOUT 90 MILES TO GET TO THE NEAREST JOANNE'S STORE IN BARBOURSVILLE, WEST VIRGINIA; WHILE THERE, I LOVE TO VISIT THE WEST VIRGINIA QUILT SHOP---THAT STORE IS WONDERFUL. THERE IS A SMALL WALMART HERE IN TOWN---NOT A BIG SELECTION OF FABRICS.... A SMALL GIFT/CRAFT SHOP ABOUT 20 MILES AWAY; AND A CHURCH OPERATED SHOP ABOUT 8 MILES. IT IS CALL DAVID CRAFT CENTER; MOST OF THE FABRIC THEY HAVE HAS BEEN DONATED TO THEM; CAN SOMETIMES FIND GOOD STUFF. NEXT, IS TO TRAVEL TO LEXINGTON...120 MILES.....AND OF COURSE, ON LINE SHOPS. i REALLY LIKE THE THOUSANDS OF BOLTS SITE; THEY HAVE SOME GOOD SALES AND COLORS DEPICTED ARE TRUE....
    Old 07-23-2009, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by wvdek
    So, you see, I am in a quandry. I am sure there are other QS I don't know about, but hope to find when I can afford gas for that many miles.
    I found a few in West Virginia for you. Maybe one is close?

http://www.quiltaholics.com/qshop/qshopwv.htm
    Old 07-23-2009, 11:07 AM

St. Paul, Minnesota my birth place miss living there. I now live in a very small town Dubois, Wyoming Riverton is 78 miles from here which has only 2 places for me to buy fabric. Jackson, Wyoming is 82 miles from here with only 1 place to buy fabric, so I do a lot of shopping on line.