Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How many places is (new) fabric available near where you live? >
  • How many places is (new) fabric available near where you live?

• How many places is (new) fabric available near where you live?

Old 07-23-2009, 11:32 AM

There are 4 LQS within 4 miles of my house. Then Joann's, Hancocks, & Walmart, a total of 5 stores all together, is within 7 miles. If you go out to 20 miles, I would guess at least another 15 to 25 LQS or regular fabric stores. To many choices, but are so happy that I don't have to drive 60 miles for a fabric store.
    Old 07-23-2009, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Well, yesterday my girlfriend and I went on a mini shop hop. The shop hop was only 3 shops but we went to another one because we were close. (60 miles)

I drove 90 miles just to get to her house. The trip around to the four shops was about 170 miles. We were back at her house at supper time. Then another 90 to get home.

We had a blast! I got to go to a new shop I hadn't had a chance to get to yet and they have a great selection of fabrics and notions and patterns. It will be a definite on my regular shop list. If I go to that shop straight from my house it'll be about 135 miles one way. That's so close it's like not even leaving home!! LOL

The closest quilt shop to me is only 10 miles but she doesn't have regular open hours and you have to make an appointment to shop. I won't do that just to wander in a shop. Plus since she's mostly an internet sales shop she doesn't deal with in person customers all that well.

The next closest is 30 miles and it's an okay store at least.

Then there's another one just about four miles from that store that's... hmm, how shall we say, a mess. It's more like she sells fabric out of a huge sewing room than a store. The main shop hop is in September and it's going to take that long for her to get it cleaned up!
    Where are you ? I am in Dalhart Tx we have a cute store here high quality and great service.
    I also have alcos which has some good fabric just last years prints.
    Then another high quality fabric is in Dumas which is 35 miles away I will go if I cant find what i want here. Then its 90 miles to Amarillo I really dont like to drive that far just for a joanns.
    Old 07-23-2009, 12:36 PM

I am fortunate There are 3 quilt shops in my area each about 30-45 minutes away. One was a Baby Lock dealer but no longer, so to have my machine serviced to keep the warranty I must use Jacksonville, Fl or Charlotte SC. Each about 2 -2 1/2 hrs away. One quilt shop is Berninna dealer and the other is a Pfaff. Our Walmarts are discontinuing fabric. The one in Pooler, GA still has it but I understand they will faze out also.We also have a JoAnns and about 1 1/2 hrs away Hobby Lobby.
    Old 07-23-2009, 01:39 PM

i have 2 LQS within 10 min ride and about 7 others within a 45-60 min ride, we visit them all. NW Pa is a lucky area, we also have 2 jo anns in that area too and 2-3 walmarts that still carry fabric
    Old 07-23-2009, 01:41 PM

I have 1 LQS close, and a Walmart. About 20 minutes away is Walmart, Joann's and Hancocks, and a couple other places I can' remember names. I am also about 45 min from Amish country, Napannee and Shipshewana.
    Christine
    Old 07-23-2009, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by MsSage
    Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Well, yesterday my girlfriend and I went on a mini shop hop. The shop hop was only 3 shops but we went to another one because we were close. (60 miles)

I drove 90 miles just to get to her house. The trip around to the four shops was about 170 miles. We were back at her house at supper time. Then another 90 to get home.

We had a blast! I got to go to a new shop I hadn't had a chance to get to yet and they have a great selection of fabrics and notions and patterns. It will be a definite on my regular shop list. If I go to that shop straight from my house it'll be about 135 miles one way. That's so close it's like not even leaving home!! LOL

The closest quilt shop to me is only 10 miles but she doesn't have regular open hours and you have to make an appointment to shop. I won't do that just to wander in a shop. Plus since she's mostly an internet sales shop she doesn't deal with in person customers all that well.

The next closest is 30 miles and it's an okay store at least.

Then there's another one just about four miles from that store that's... hmm, how shall we say, a mess. It's more like she sells fabric out of a huge sewing room than a store. The main shop hop is in September and it's going to take that long for her to get it cleaned up!
    Where are you ? I am in Dalhart Tx we have a cute store here high quality and great service.
    I also have alcos which has some good fabric just last years prints.
    Then another high quality fabric is in Dumas which is 35 miles away I will go if I cant find what i want here. Then its 90 miles to Amarillo I really dont like to drive that far just for a joanns.
    Well hello neighbor, well almost neighbors. I've been to the store in Dumas. Great store! I haven't been to the one in Dalhart yet. I actually have relatives in Dalhart. I haven't been to any of the quilt shops in Amarillo. So far every time I've gone to Amarillo hubby has been with me and we've done a bunch of other shopping.
    Old 07-23-2009, 02:27 PM

I have read the posts for a couple of months and finally have decided to send a message. The closest is Walmart 12 miles away. Joanns is 30 minutes away. One of the best places is ebay. there are wonderful choices. We live in mid NY state ten miles east of Saratoga Springs. I take my mom whenever I go because she is the one who got me into quilting. :D
    Old 07-23-2009, 03:54 PM

WHERE DO YOU LIVE? I WANT TO LIVE THERE, TOO ! WITH THAT MANY PLACES TO SHOP, I WOULD HAVE TO WORK 24/7 JUST TO PAY FOR THE FABRIC! SOUNDS LIKE A QUILTER'S PARADISE...LUCKY YOU
    Old 07-23-2009, 03:56 PM

I live in Maryland and my friends and I take trips to Delaware and Pennsylvania (which has a lot of Amish quilters and stores). There is a quilt store in Newark, Delaware that has some of the nicest fabrics. Lancaster, PA, also has many good quality quilt stores. As you can see, we travel some distances, but it a day out.

Barbara
    Maryland
    Old 07-23-2009, 05:18 PM

I am near Savannah, GA. We also have JoAnn's & Hancock's. The quilt shops are Colonial Quilts, Let's Sew & Sew Much More.