Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How many quilt on reg sewing machine? >
  • How many quilt on reg sewing machine?

• How many quilt on reg sewing machine?

Old 02-12-2013, 05:48 PM

I have quilted several on a reg. machine. 2 king. But I love the quilt as you go method. worth checking out.
    Old 02-12-2013, 05:55 PM

I have quilted for just over 1 1/2 yrs. and use a Brother from Wal-Mart. Am able to fmq on it on queen size quilts, but the middle sections of my quilts don't have near as much quilting as the further out parts. It's a challenge, but each one gets better. Love the sense of accomplishment when I've completed each one. Really have not perfected my piecing to the point where I feel I would want to spend the $'s for a longarm professional quilter! Best of luck on your quilting too.
    Old 02-12-2013, 06:55 PM

There is another option. Have you ever considered quilt as you go? When you use this method, a domestic sewing machine is fine to quilt with. You quilt each block as you assemble the quilt and then you put them together. So when you are done assembling the quilt, it is already quilted. I made a baby quilt using this method and it came out lovely.There are many different quilting options, just do some research.Welcome to the quilting community!
    Old 02-12-2013, 06:55 PM

I quilt most of my quilts on my regular machine. I am very good at stitching in the ditch and am getting better with free motion quilting. I have quilted 1 king size and several queen size quilts on my Bernina. I do send some of my quilts to the LAQ if I am not in a hurry for them. It takes about 3 months to get a quilt back. I don't really enjoy making the quilt sandwich; but I do enjoy the machine quilting.
    Old 02-12-2013, 07:08 PM
    Power Poster

I preferred hand quilting, but the "to do" list is long and I'm almost 50 so decided over the last couple of years to machine piece/quilt otherwise I'd never get much done. I use a domestic vintage machine (Pinnock) and the biggest quilt so far is probably double bed size. Tend to be sticking to straight line quilting, but this week have been FMQ and I think I may be getting addicted to it (despite it not looking terribly professional...yet). My dream machine would probably be a HQ sweet 16, but here they are around $6,000.00, so not in the near future. Sending out for quilting is too expensive, and besides that, I want to do it all myself......I even plan on getting my treadle renovated and using that. When it comes to quilting....you will find a determined quilter can put out a quilt using almost any fabric or machine.
    Old 02-12-2013, 07:21 PM

I FMQ on my old Bernina 830 Record. The largest I've done is queen size. I use Machingers gloves and have a large working surface to eliminate drag.

I do straight line quilting on my Singer 401A with a walking foot, but must admit I don't do much of this.

I also hand quilt when I'm working on an heirloom piece.
    Old 02-12-2013, 07:21 PM

I quilt with my Husqvarna - and am getting ready to do a couple of king sized quilts for our bedroom. It can be done, but its a workout. I am going to try a quilt as you go for one of the king sized quilts, to see how it goes. I like that idea, as I can do different quilting designs in each block. I used to hand quilt, but don't have much time anymore. I will still occasionally do a fair amount of hand quilting on a baby quilt, though, as its relaxing. I don't see myself buying a long arm -- I'd rather do it like my ancestors did for the most part. Yes, I enjoy the mats and cutters, and my machines (I also have a Bernina that does embroidery, etc), but I'd rather do the quilting myself by hand or on my own machine.
    Old 02-12-2013, 07:40 PM

I quilted a double bed sized quilt on a small Brother HS-2000. My DH helped me get a Laura Ashley Innov-is, NX-2000 at Christmas & now I can quilt about anything. This has a nice large throat & is an amazing machine, but is still only a domestic sewing machine!!
    Old 02-12-2013, 08:30 PM

Last fall I bought a Husqvarna 835 (less than $1000). It has a larger throat space. ~10 inches. Works great for any size quilt. Take a class for FMQ before you buy if you can.
    Old 02-12-2013, 08:43 PM

I've been quilting since 2009 and quilted my first 21 quilts on a Janome 6600P...all the way up to queen size. Anything more than that was just too much for me to even think about, so kudos to all you who can and do, I admire you greatly! I bought an HQ Sweet 16 about a year ago and am just now quilting a super king size, what a dream come true. I would love a long arm on a frame, but just don't have the room for it (tried to talk the hubby into remodeling, but he says no way)...Oh well, I tried : )