Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How many quilting books is "too many"? >
  • How many quilting books is "too many"?

• How many quilting books is "too many"?

Old 01-18-2011, 12:35 PM

Okay the librarian has to comment. First of all it is a known scientific fact that there can NEVER be too many books! Hey, my degree has "Information Science" in it so it is too a scientific fact! I do 2 things with my books. I organize them by type [How to books, FMQ books, pattern books] within these groups I just organize alphabetically by title, leave out the articles like "the" or "a" in the beginning. Yes, I know we use authors last names in libraries, but in a situation like this you are more likely to remember part of the title rather than the author. Also I will use the strongest word in the title, for example I have about 5 or 6 Bargello books. I keep them all together in the pattern section of my books under Bargello because I know that's where I would look first. Don't mean to make it sound complicated because it really isn't. Look at your books through your eyes, if you were looking for a particular book where would you look first, for example "Twisted Bargello". If your first thought is "I'd look for Bargello then put it in the B's. If your first thought is I'd look for Twisted then put it under T. Use what works for you.
    Old 01-18-2011, 12:51 PM

Too many books? I do not believe that is possible. Organizing them so you can find what you want? That might be a different problem. Mine are arranged by category, then by something in that category. ie: applique - then by alphabets, animals, birds, etc. Same with the Bargello, just depends on the category itself. I still can never find what i am looking for
    Old 01-18-2011, 12:58 PM
    Power Poster

I agree that you cannot have too many books. Many of mine are organized by topic, except the ones that are organized using the 'pile' system, which is organized in reverse chronological order by purchase date!
    Old 01-18-2011, 01:02 PM
    Power Poster

I have an IKEA cabinet with glass doors and that is for my craft books. When it is full (and it is) then I have enough books. This means that if I bring any more in, I will have to get rid of something. At least that is the plan. One thing I have noticed: I am getting much more critical BEFORE I buy a quilting book - and I LOVE quilting books.
    Old 01-18-2011, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Cybrarian
    Okay the librarian has to comment. First of all it is a known scientific fact that there can NEVER be too many books! .... Use what works for you.
    I agree with Cybrarian. I'm a retired librarian and this catalog method of fine tuning the subject works for me here at home. I also have other sewing books and art. You can never have too many books. Just double check that the floor can hold the weight! (Had that problem at one of the small libraries I managed)
    Old 01-18-2011, 01:09 PM

Well I sure hope it isn't an addiction because I have quite a few. You know I have a huge assortment of cookbooks and I haven't cooked something from everyone. Kind of the same thing. Inspiration. I always wonder why people want to give books away and yet they do and YEA I get them. :lol:
    Old 01-18-2011, 01:23 PM
    Banned

I inventoried mine last year as part of a class I was taking...I have 327 of them....listed by Authors!

I am slowly weeding them out!
    Old 01-18-2011, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by shequilts
    Most of you know I have a huge stash of books and the way I organized them is to list them on a spreadsheet program.
    I can then do a search by title, author, or category.
    I file them in the bookcase by author. It makes the search easier.
    YOU are scarin me.... :wink:
    Old 01-18-2011, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Cybrarian
    Okay the librarian has to comment. First of all it is a known scientific fact that there can NEVER be too many books! Hey, my degree has "Information Science" in it so it is too a scientific fact! I do 2 things with my books. I organize them by type [How to books, FMQ books, pattern books] within these groups I just organize alphabetically by title, leave out the articles like "the" or "a" in the beginning. Yes, I know we use authors last names in libraries, but in a situation like this you are more likely to remember part of the title rather than the author. Also I will use the strongest word in the title, for example I have about 5 or 6 Bargello books. I keep them all together in the pattern section of my books under Bargello because I know that's where I would look first. Don't mean to make it sound complicated because it really isn't. Look at your books through your eyes, if you were looking for a particular book where would you look first, for example "Twisted Bargello". If your first thought is "I'd look for Bargello then put it in the B's. If your first thought is I'd look for Twisted then put it under T. Use what works for you.
    Actually, I do what you do.... sorting into sections and groupings. :smile: Can you tell I used to play 'librarian' instead of 'nurse' when I was a child???? lol.
    Old 01-18-2011, 03:36 PM

I love my books and I love the book clubs that sell them for a dollar a book that is why I can justify spending the money he he!!!