Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How many quilting books is "too many"? >
  • How many quilting books is "too many"?

• How many quilting books is "too many"?

Old 01-19-2011, 04:31 PM

i wish that more of the books came as ebooks. then i could just print what i need. i don't have room for "real" books in my camper. In fact, my sewing "room" is a laptop stand and my "stash" is packed in a small handled file box.
    Old 01-19-2011, 05:16 PM

IS 700 QUILTING BOOKS AND MAGAZINES TO MANY ?????? I HAVE RUN OUT OF ROOM TO PUT THEM.
    Old 01-19-2011, 05:20 PM

IS 700 BOOKS AND MAGAZINES TO MANY ????? I HAVE RUN OUT OF SPACE TO PUT THEM BUT DO NOT WANT TO GET RID OF THEM. READ THEM OFF AND ON.
    Old 01-19-2011, 05:59 PM

I love looking through my quilt books
    Old 01-19-2011, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dawn Hendrix
    lol ... it is a club.... has to be because I DO NOT HAVE AN ADDICTION!
    I'm "in denial" as well.
    Old 01-19-2011, 06:12 PM

How much fabric is too much??? Same with quilt books, no such thing as too much as long as you have the space to store them. Then you cut out the patterns ect that you want to make & put in plastic sleeve and then in a binder. I love just looking through my books, but I also learn alot from them & have used some of the patterns in them.
    Old 01-19-2011, 06:15 PM

There is no such thing as too many books. I refer to one or two just about every day. Reference books and tips are the ones I use the most. Just looking at patterns makes me happy. Can I ever make all the quilts in my books? No, but the joy of looking at them is a very inexpensive high.
    Old 01-19-2011, 07:17 PM

I dont think you can ever have too many..... and I use them for patterns and inspiration .... I have about 200 ....lol ....... maybe not that many ... but I do have a 4 shelf book shelf full and the top is stacked 1c ft deep and they are stacked all over my sewing area ...... I love sewing books ........ love them!!!!!
    Old 01-19-2011, 08:00 PM

I, too, keep my books in an order that makes sense to me. First, every book that comes into my house must be listed on my master list in the computer. Then I have a shelf each for categories...FMQ, appliquee, baby & children, scrap quilts, technique books, jelly rolls & charms, serger, etc. Within these categories I file by author's last name. Others have said they file by title, and that's good, too, but for me, I like to have all my Burns books or all my Hawley books together. I keep a copy of my master list in my purse, updated periodically, so that I don't duplicate when I shop. I also keep a master list of machine feet, ruler sizes, patterns, plastic templates, etc. for the same reason.
    Old 01-19-2011, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
    Okay... I went from having a 2 shelf bookcase with quilt books/mags... to having the 2 shelf + another shelf underneath in my hidden storage area. That's about 26" x 3, in space. But then I see other sewing room pics, with 5 shelf bookcases stuffed with books! I love looking through them, and since I only occasionally do quilting... I have yet to make a quilt from even a 10th of the books I already have. But... BUT... BBBBUT - I want to go buy more books! lol....

Those of you who have large stashes of books... do you really make the quilts from them? Do you use them more for color or style inspiration? For fun reading???? Somebody help me justify my addiction!!!! (okay, thanks...!)

I have a 4ft bookcase that is 4 ft wide and has 4 shelves. On the bottom shelf I have 2 plastic bins (2 ft wide) that hold pattern templates in baggies.On the 3rd shelf I have end to end notebooks filled with quilt patterns cut from magazines.On the 2nd shelf and top shelf I have quilt pattern books and quilting pattern books. Some of my patterns are ones that my grandmother gave me,and some are patterns that were found in a old cedar chest and had my great-grandmother's mother's name on them.The quilters in the family divided them up and I was given 6. I think I'm just as addicted to quilting books as I am to fabric. There's my bookshelf stash, hope it helps to justify yours. Though,it could be just us 2 book addicts?