Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How many quilting books is "too many"? >
  • How many quilting books is "too many"?

• How many quilting books is "too many"?

Old 01-20-2011, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Annz
    Love those magazines.
    When the magazines started getting too high in price, I went to ask.com and a bunch of free quilt pattern websites came up. Instead of printing all of them at one time,I put them into a "save" file and then I can look up one and print them whenever I want.A message pops up if I start to download a pattern that I already have,so that eliminates duplicates. Just remember when the option comes up to save,make sure to type in the name of the quilt.Sometimes it just has a code and you can't remember later each code was the right one.Learned the hard way.
    Old 01-20-2011, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
    I'm going through my books and magazines now, trying to weed out those that will likely never be useful to me. It's a long slog, because I don't seem able to give up a magazine until I have looked through every page and made sure there is not a pattern or inspirational quilt in there I'd like to make some day! Some of the books are ones I ordered online and aren't quite what I want; those are a little quicker to go through. However, there are still many books and magazines I want to keep.....
    www.paperbackswap.com not just paperback but hardcover or laminated like most quilting books, they have all different books check them out I love love love them !!
    Old 01-20-2011, 07:38 PM

I use the small post it notes to mark ones I'm interested in and the rest ( just went through them ) I post on www.paperbackswap.com and get some more !! Great fun.
    Old 01-20-2011, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I have an IKEA cabinet with glass doors and that is for my craft books. When it is full (and it is) then I have enough books. This means that if I bring any more in, I will have to get rid of something. At least that is the plan. One thing I have noticed: I am getting much more critical BEFORE I buy a quilting book - and I LOVE quilting books.
    www.paperbackswap.com love it love love it !!
    Old 01-20-2011, 07:56 PM

In one of those quilting books is there a pattern called "Little Boys pants" or "Little Boys Britches"? I got the pattern for the 2 pieces but I don't know how to put it together.
    Old 01-26-2011, 11:18 AM

OK I am not mac based was there a post I missed for those of us who use windows. I need to get my books organized too!:)
    Old 01-26-2011, 03:09 PM

There is a program for PCs that comes with a scanning wand that will enter all the info from the barcode on the back of the book into your computer. I don't know if there are other programs for PC, but I like the looks of book hunter for the Mac!
    Old 01-26-2011, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dawn Hendrix
    lol ... it is a club.... has to be because I DO NOT HAVE AN ADDICTION!
    LOL.....I belong to that club too :)
    Old 05-01-2011, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by lynmccoy
    Originally Posted by Annz
    Love those magazines.
    When the magazines started getting too high in price, I went to ask.com and a bunch of free quilt pattern websites came up. Instead of printing all of them at one time,I put them into a "save" file and then I can look up one and print them whenever I want.A message pops up if I start to download a pattern that I already have,so that eliminates duplicates. Just remember when the option comes up to save,make sure to type in the name of the quilt.Sometimes it just has a code and you can't remember later each code was the right one.Learned the hard way.
    Great idea. Love the mags too. At first, I ripped up and only saved the stuff I liked (three hole punched and in binders). Then I stopped doing that, 'cause I liked looking at the pictures of other quilts, colorways, gagets, rooms, stores and the like. <sigh> Now I have STACKS of magizines I find for free or less than a $ at thrift stores, library sales and the like. Almost never never buy a 'current' mag... cannot afford it!
    Old 05-01-2011, 04:14 PM

I am soooo glad to hear I am not the only one with a ton of quilt books and magazines. I love to look through them especially for color ideas. Organizing them? Ha, you have GOT to be kidding!!!! I use sticky notes of something I may have a use for or a pattern I want to try out.