Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How many quilts from 500 yards of fabric? >
  • How many quilts from 500 yards of fabric?

• How many quilts from 500 yards of fabric?

Old 01-09-2011, 12:59 PM

:shock:
    Old 01-09-2011, 01:23 PM

[quote=salmonsweet]
    Originally Posted by skothing
    Well my saying is : Never count my sewing machines. It is bad luck! I really don't know how many I have. True. I do count sergers I have 2. But when helping a friend move her fabric which covered a spot of 12 feet long 10 feet wide and 5 feet high we estimated that she had with the bolts stacked to the side and the fabric we where refolding she had 10,000 yds. yes she still buys fabric. I don't have as much but it is close. I give fabric away all the time. I make about 12 quilts a year.
    LOL. 10,000 yards?!!! 10x12x5, that would just about fill my bedroom, halfway to the ceiling! Not sure whether that's my nightmare or my dream...

Yea we are enablers to each other. We ran into a local fabric store that was getting rid of all the name brand fabrics and only handling their off brand or suppliers stuff. They where getting rid of bolts of Micheal Miller , Alexander Henry, etc. So we started to by yards then the clerk would say if you buy the whole bolt that is left I'll give you a deal $1 a yard. Then after 3 full carts and several hours later she quit measuring and started to guessamating which was pretty accurate. I spent close to 500 and my friend did the same and another did more. Until 2nd friends husband saw the haul and went back and bought 200 more. Need I say she won and her husband is a big enabler. Between the 3 of us we pretty much wiped them out. Oh my Lord where we a sight!

:XD: :XD:
    Old 01-09-2011, 01:33 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Six book shelves- two of which are floor to ceiling, walk in-closet of bolts & 15- 30 gal tubs.. not including sterilite containers shoved under cutting tables, counter-tops, sewing desk and craft desk.. the only thing I do not have in my sewing room is two 90x40 rolls of batting that I keep in another walk in closet..

I think I'm good for this year alone.. But I always seem to buy more when I'm out.. Go figure..
    Old 01-09-2011, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    Six book shelves- two of which are floor to ceiling, walk in-closet of bolts & 15- 30 gal tubs.. not including sterilite containers shoved under cutting tables, counter-tops, sewing desk and craft desk.. the only thing I do not have in my sewing room is two 90x40 rolls of batting that I keep in another walk in closet..

I think I'm good for this year alone.. But I always seem to buy more when I'm out.. Go figure..
    Lol :XD:
    Old 01-09-2011, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by skothing
    They where getting rid of bolts of Micheal Miller , Alexander Henry, etc. So we started to by yards then the clerk would say if you buy the whole bolt that is left I'll give you a deal $1 a yard. Then after 3 full carts and several hours later she quit measuring and started to guessamating which was pretty accurate. I spent close to 500 and my friend did the same and another did more. Until 2nd friends husband saw the haul and went back and bought 200 more. Need I say she won and her husband is a big enabler. Between the 3 of us we pretty much wiped them out. Oh my Lord where we a sight!
    WOW! That's amazing.
    Old 01-09-2011, 01:39 PM

We have laugh about this so many times we cry. What we must of looked like. :lol:
    Old 01-09-2011, 01:57 PM

I love that story. Wish I was there to see you all with all of that fabric. You will never find a buy like that again.
    Old 01-09-2011, 03:05 PM
    Power Poster

I am sure I have that much and more. No longer buying fabric (I hope) except for a possible fill in. Working from my stash (at least for today, hahaha).
    Old 01-09-2011, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
    oh my word. I don't even want to know how many yards of fabric I have.. I really don't. You'll have a TON of quilts.
    Is that 500 yards of the same color? It would be hard to answer that question til you tell us how many different colors you have.
    Old 01-09-2011, 04:22 PM

I have Fabric by the boltfuls. I have fabric under the beds on top of the beds, in boxes and plastic containers, stuff in closets, bathtubs, i would be known as the "fabric hoarder". And the notions, oh Lord I have no clue. I tend to hide things and forget they are there. I buy thinking i don't have needles for my sewing machine, found a box with so many sewing machine needles in it I lost count after 150, now i have no clue why i buy soooo much, but i'm thinking its because i will run out, go figure. I'm nuts.