Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How Many Quilts Do You Make? >
  • How Many Quilts Do You Make?

• How Many Quilts Do You Make?

Old 03-08-2013, 03:12 PM

i make laps and baby quilts mostly but i usually get a couple or 3 twin size in there as well and i generally make about 10 per year. i also work full time and dont get to quilt mon thru thurs due to my work schedule since i work 10 hours a day. but that also means i have a 3 day weekend every weekend which has made me more productive the last few years. hopefully they dont ever change it back but people complain about it all the time so it is definately possible.
    carla
    Old 03-08-2013, 03:15 PM
    Power Poster

It never stops. I always have several going at one time. I have two bed size quilts on the design board right now and just guessing at the ammount of time, I can cut and piece an average queen size quilt in a weekend. So the answer would be alot!

If my daughter asked that to me I'd tell her to go clean her room!
    peace
    Old 03-08-2013, 03:21 PM
    Power Poster

when i first started, i usually did 1 med to large quilt a month. i've slowed down some
    Old 03-08-2013, 03:43 PM

I just finished my third one this year...got 2 more to get done by July...and they are all big quilts..I only work on one project at a time though..
    Old 03-08-2013, 04:53 PM

Depends on what I am working on. But I tend to be a slow methodical piecer. So I finish 3 or 4 a year but don't ask about the number of UFO's sitting around.
    Old 03-08-2013, 09:38 PM

Like many quilters it depends on what is going on in my life, what quilts I need to make for gifts, how easy or challenging the pattern is and the size. Fortunately I have a long arm so am able to do a quilt from start to finish. My goal is to complete a quilt before I start another one!
    Old 03-08-2013, 11:23 PM

Probably 4 or 5 a month. I'm "early retired" so I'm lucky to have at least 4 hours a day of sewing time.
    Old 03-09-2013, 12:08 AM

Oh I make as many as I gain pleasure making. This is a hobby not a race I enjoy finding new patterns but more pleasure from techniques. Start a new one when I feel I want to and work on it as long as I feel satisfied. The quilt police are not time watching or saying when to finish. Enjoy find pleasure and fulfilment from each quilt no matter how quickly it happens or how slowly.satisfaction is yours not others.
    Old 03-09-2013, 02:35 AM

I work full time and I make about four (lap quilt size) a year. This year it will be three.
    Old 03-09-2013, 04:21 AM
    Power Poster

there is no (average) in my world....sometimes i may (throw together) 2 or 3 in a week- some take me 4-5 years or more---in a pinch i can put together a quilt in a weekend if i need to- i don't do many small quilts 95% of mine are queen or king sized & i don't do easy patterns often unless it's a special request- but it still depends on the project- between the donation quilts (downey quilts for kids, the women's resource center shelter mostly) the gifts & the sales i make 15-50 quilts a year...some years are more (productive) than others- some months are busier than others...i may set a week aside to put together donation quilts & make 10 in that week- then i may not make another quilt for 2 or 3 months...i am always working on numerous quilts at one time & sometimes they are (in progress) for 3-4 months-then all of a sudden i may have 6 come together seems like all at once...then a week of quilting them & bindings...it's all an ongoing thing= with no rhyme or reason.