Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How Many... >
  • How Many...

• How Many...

Old 09-10-2010, 04:24 PM

Bmmmaaannnyy, would you believe NOT ONE? I'm still trying to get over having to wear dresses made by mom to school and that was uumm 70 plus years...maybe it's time I bought one. Any suggestions?
    Old 09-10-2010, 04:33 PM

I have my main one that I use all the time, it's an Elna, then I have a Singer, that someone else uses when they come sew at my house and which I use for classes. Then I have 3 older workiing models that are packed.
    Old 09-10-2010, 04:43 PM
    Power Poster

I have 3.
    Old 09-10-2010, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I keep a Janome Gem Gold in the car trunk for taking to guild meetings. I have a Singer 301 I use for most all my piecing. I have a Singer Quantum I use for zig zag/decorative stitches/overcasting. I have a Brother 1500 for machine quilting. I have a Singer Featherweight because it's so cute and I have a Singer 15-90 in cabinet I use for paper piecing. I have a Janome treadle I never use. DD bought a Janome Gem and used it once and left it in my sewing room. I sew on it every now and then to keep it lubricated. The only one I bought was the Gem and the Quantum, the rest were given to me.
    BellaBoo,
    The Janome treadle is it a modern machine or an old one? I have 2 old Singer treadles that I use quite often, they are lovely machines for piecing and quilting.
    Sharon W.
    Old 09-10-2010, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by carolyne2421
    i have 1 commercial singer,,2 embroidery machines,and 1 home machine that is a montgomery wards,,it is about 60 yrs old and still sews great,,noisy but sew great
    Carolyne,
    If your M.Wards machine is noisy it probably just needs a good cleaning and oiling(you can do this).
    Old 09-10-2010, 05:12 PM

I have I think 14 machines.Viking Sapphire 875,Berninas 930& 1031,Pfaff 1222E(about 35 yrs old),
    Singers 201 & 15-90 treadles,99K handcrank,237 also treadles,4 featherweights,black 301,Huskylock 910 serger
    and a Janome Jem Gold 2.Two white treadle heads that don't work yet and 1 New Home treadle.
    Right now the Sapphire and the Pfaff get the most use and
    the featherweights next,(3 black & 1 tan).
    I can't treadle yet, formerly broken ankle isn't ready yet. I broke it 9 weeks ago. Prior to breaking my ankle I did most of my piecing and quilting with my 201 and 15-90 treadles.
    Old 09-10-2010, 05:19 PM

With DH in the room rushing me and not having read all the posts, I have to hurry. Maybe I am saying what others have said. I usually have 3 or 4 projects going at one time--quilt in progress, patching or repairing jeans, making vinyl covers for this and that, and a garment in progress. I can't afford the time to thread, rethread, etc. I have 3 machines set up and 2 sergers. One serger has only black thread most of the time. No matter what job I have to do in a hurry, one machine will have the right thread.
    Old 09-10-2010, 05:23 PM
    Power Poster

I have 5, my basic Singer, got in 1964, green, zig zag. Used it for years with very little maintenance. Then was given a Brother XR-52 - very basic machine from Costco. Love that little workhorse. Maybe has plastic innards but has labored through all my quilting, including flannel and chenille without quitting or balking. then found an Elnita at a garage sale. Works great. Has feed dogs that drop. Recently got a treadle. LOVE IT! and then at an estate sale found a beautiful old Singer, black head, full size, in a mahogany cabinet which is great for doing a bigger quilt on. Easy to use, smooth sewing. The one I use the least is the Elnita.
    Old 09-10-2010, 05:28 PM

I use a Bernina and a Featherweight frequently. Kenmore is a dust catcher.
    Old 09-10-2010, 05:47 PM

3. A 30 year old bernina. a 3 year old saphire, and Elvira my featherweight.
    I also have a tredal machine that I'm looking to sell it dates 1914. I thought it would be a nice project to restore but time is not on my side.