Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How many of you actually have sewing studio/room >
  • How many of you actually have sewing studio/room

• How many of you actually have sewing studio/room

Old 02-09-2011, 11:04 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Nana Julie
    I've heard some mention that they have their sewing in the dining room, bedroom, or a corner of the living room. But, who actually has an entire room designated as a sewing studio/room?
    I do! I have an old house with two rooms over the garage. Those rooms are my dedicated sewing rooms. It's nice to have all my "crap" out of the house where no one moves anything but at the same time, I'm not looking at the mess unless I want to. :-)
    Old 02-09-2011, 11:22 AM

I do! My grandmother had a nice corner of the dining room and part of her utility room, this is where I learned to sew. As a preteen, I had a huge bedroom AND a good portion of a large basement for my sewing (we were NOT rich). As a teen I had part of a small bedroom tucked behind a kitchen. As a young adult and then newlywed, I had my own sewing room until I became a travel nurse. I've hauled UFOs and quilting supplies criss-crossing the US, Canada, Europe, and Africa. Then I had several years while my kids were very young of no sewing room and very little sewing! I bought a house two years ago, and I've gotten serious about making space and time to quilt and sew alone, for myself, with my kids, and for my kids. Sewing, quilting, and knitting are a key part of my heritage and one of the awesome gifts given to me by my grandmother and mother. Gma taught me to sew and supplied me well. My mom worked like a beast when I was young but always made space and time for me to sew despite our very limited resources. If I fail to transmit sewing, quilting, and knitting to my kids and grandkids, well, what a shame and loss. My boys have two sewing machines to share, sewing kits and supplies, and both scraps and newly purchased fabrics with which to create. God willing, sewing, quilting, and knitting will continue in my family. Surely the passion can be transmitted with fewer resources than that with which we are blessed.
    Old 02-09-2011, 11:41 AM

what was supposed to be my sewing room ended up being grandson's bed room (I love him more than quilts so it's ok). Now my sewing space is in the laundry room. Not much space but when I want to put up a floor frame to hand quilt I just take over the living room and when I need space to fmq I set up in the entry hall. Everybody can use the side door to go in and out. Today I asked dh if he was tired of having the whole house full of my quilting projects. He said it he didn't mind as long as he could get to the fridge to eat and the bed to sleep.
    Old 02-09-2011, 12:13 PM

I do have my own room- it's our guest room, but it's large. My DH calls it my "chick cave".

"oraganized chaos" I know where everything is
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]123403[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-123398.jpe   attachment-123506.jpe   attachment-123707.jpe   attachment-123773.jpe  
    Old 02-09-2011, 12:16 PM

I Do! I Do!, I used to have my quilting set up in the kitchen,.. yes, the kitchen, it was the biggest room in the house.... 12x12. I'd have to open the kitchen window when I machine quilted, because the rails were so long they'd go out the window on one end, then into the living room on the other end , depending on which side of the quilt I was quilting; it was a Flynn quilting system made with 10 foot goods.. hee, hee.
    Old 02-09-2011, 12:17 PM

I do now. My daughter really prefers to share a bedroom with her sister.......
    Old 02-09-2011, 12:22 PM

I do but I also do a lot of papercrafts, so my room is full of paper AND fabric (and punches, and thread, and buttons, and ribbon, and ... )
    Old 02-09-2011, 12:24 PM

I have the upstairs bonus room 12X20 space as my sewing/craft room. Not nearly enough space!
    Old 02-09-2011, 12:30 PM

I have a sewing room with 4 machines, two for sewing, one serger and one embroidery. I have 3 industrial racks of 7 shelves full of fabric, several collaspable baskets for scraps, one tall industrial book shelf that is 22 inches wide for the buttons, fusible interfacing, bias tape, odds and ends. I large, tall entertainment center that houses all my threads, lightboxes, serger and sewing machines, acrylic tables for said machines and batting. There is a small entertainment center with tv, cable and dvd player that holds all my rulers that I am not using. I also have a cutting table that folds down when not in use. I could live there if needed. I have two sewing tables, one for the embroidery machine and the other is for sewing.
    Old 02-09-2011, 12:47 PM

I am so very thankful that I do!! When my kids were small, I did all my sewing on my dining room table, but now I have a room..I do have to share it with the cat though!