• How many of you actually have sewing studio/room >
  • How many of you actually have sewing studio/room

• How many of you actually have sewing studio/room

Old 02-09-2011, 12:49 PM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

I'm one of the lucky ones....
    Old 02-09-2011, 12:57 PM
    Power Poster

i claimed (2) rooms in our house...plus have about a 1/4 of the garage stacked with my 'stuff'.

when we first moved into this house 4 years ago i claimed the smallest bedroom...furthest from the living room for my sewing room. the -middle- bedroom we set up with guest beds ect...at the end of the first year i was standing in the guest room doorway...just .....thinking....in that year the granddaughters came to visit once...for one weekend...so i asked hubby...do we have to maintain a guest room for the girls for a once a year weekend?...he said no and helpe me get the beds out...and we brought my *big-machine* home...it had been residing about 40 miles away. of course the very next week got a call from daughter needing me to keep girls for a week!...should have seen their faces when they saw...their room--
    we built a fort, the girls slept under the big quilting table and all is well...and i have 2 dedicated rooms...crammed to the rafters :mrgreen: and i dream of (additions)---shhhhhhhh i really did n't say that....don't tell hubby :lol:
    Old 02-09-2011, 12:59 PM
    Power Poster

Like CKCowl I used to have the biggest bedroom as a guest room. One day my son told me that for the amount of company I have I should take that room instead and use the smaller rooms for occasional guests.
    I was so glad he mentioned that! I never thought about it :D:D
    Most of the time it's just my kids who come to visit and they don't care where they sleep!
    Old 02-09-2011, 01:00 PM

I used to use the 4th, and smallest, bedroom in the house. When the kids left home, I moved into the second largest. Lots of light from two windows,, a walk in closet with floor to ceiling shelves for my fabric, room for a cutting table as well as machine area. I have lots of storage and space for bookcases. I'm in heaven here.
    Old 02-09-2011, 01:12 PM

Raising hand!! "Me!! I have one!!" :-) :thumbup:
    Old 02-09-2011, 01:20 PM

I use a room that acts as our library, general storage and craft storage area, my office (I work from home) and my sewing space. Funny though, the other things seem to get pushed further and further into the corners as the sewing stuff takes over ...
    Old 02-09-2011, 01:30 PM

I do! When we have extra people over, then we put a mattress in there. I can leave it as messy as I want! :-)
    Old 02-09-2011, 02:08 PM

Right now I cut on the dining table, sew in my bedroom and my stash is on shelves in the guest room.....each area must be returned to its original purpose from time to time. And, of course, all my work must be put away until "next time".....such a hassle.....BUT, now my DH is 3/4 finished with MY ROOM!! It will be 14' x 16' and a designated place for each of my sewing ventures as well as room for my other crafty things (polymer clay and handmade jewelry). He has encouraged me to tell him what I want in lighting, etc. and he has done the entire job by himself (all the while mumbling "Is she really worth all this?). I love him!
    Old 02-09-2011, 03:34 PM
    Vat

I have had a studio for lots of years , probably 30 years. It is wonderful to have space just for MY stuff. My Dad even built my large roll-around/with storage underneath cutting, and my sewing/serging cabinet that also has storage and there is also room for design wall and large closet. But I seem to be growing out of space. I want to build a new garage and take over the old one it is 28X34, wouldn't that be awesome? Probably want happen, but I can dream.
    Old 02-09-2011, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Nana Julie
    I've heard some mention that they have their sewing in the dining room, bedroom, or a corner of the living room. But, who actually has an entire room designated as a sewing studio/room?
    I have mine in the basement. Since I live alone I have no one to answer to, and this room was my lifelong dream.