Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How many of you machine quilt with you regular machine? >
  • How many of you machine quilt with you regular machine?

• How many of you machine quilt with you regular machine?

Old 03-23-2011, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by lupee60
    I do, I use my auro-pro shark quilting machine and a darning foot. it works great. my quilting does not compare to others with experiance but im getting better with practice.
    Oh Lupee...I love your puppy dog...is he/she a minature schnauzer? I love the breed...I have one that's going on 13 years and lost one that was 12 years to diabetes. They are such a wonder animal.

I'm glad you are enjoying the feeling of machine quilting. I am still a novice at it but do enjoy it. I don't know if 10 grand or more if acceptable on an occasional quilter. I have to look into this further.
    Old 03-23-2011, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Nita
    Originally Posted by luv-e
    I'm learning too. There was a you-tube to watch on here the other day and it is very informative.....type in Patsy Johnson and watch 1-4 series......I think you will like it
    I also like the barn quilt block,too
    CORRECTION: It is actually Patsy Thompson (not Johnson). I highly recommend this you-tube video series for anyone just starting out (or ... like me, struggling with) FMQ. I am a novice machine quilter and I found the suggestions within this video series very helpful. Thanks luv-e for this posting this site!
    Do you have a web address we can link to this video?
    Old 03-24-2011, 10:21 AM

Thank you, His name is Chester and he is very active. He is one of the funniest dogs i have ever had. Im sorry to here about your dog being diabetic. Chester helps me with my depression. He's a great dog.
    Old 03-24-2011, 11:36 AM

I only started quilting a year ago, I cannot afford the more expensive quilting machines that I'd love to have. I need to win the lottery first and I'd have a field day shopping. Back on point I use a Sears that has quilt settings for stitches, when I do my classes the wonderful people at the quilting store allow me to use their floor models in class so I don't need to lug mine around. So for me for now mine regular machine works fine.
    Old 08-16-2011, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Evie
    Yep, do my quilting on my Singer -- straight lines with attached walking foot and FM with darning foot. Largest was a twin 75 x 90. Oh, that was a struggle through that small harp! :x
    so let me make sure im understanding all this information correctly...if i want to quilt on my brother sewing machine, and only do straight line/outline quilting...all i need to do is attach my walking foot and thats it right?
    Old 08-16-2011, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Lorettan
    Originally Posted by Evie
    Yep, do my quilting on my Singer -- straight lines with attached walking foot and FM with darning foot. Largest was a twin 75 x 90. Oh, that was a struggle through that small harp! :x
    so let me make sure im understanding all this information correctly...if i want to quilt on my brother sewing machine, and only do straight line/outline quilting...all i need to do is attach my walking foot and thats it right?
    :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Old 10-08-2011, 04:35 PM

I just tried to post, by replying under how many use their regular machine to quilt.
    I'm new to quilting and am making blocks on my 301 machine but would love to learn free motion quilting on it.
    Is there a tutorial using the 301? I'd also like to know what free motion presser foot it takes and where to buy it?
    I just need more information to begin.
    Thanks.
    Old 10-08-2011, 06:29 PM

The 301 is a slant shank machine. You can use any slant shank free motion foot you like. You may have to remove the thread cutter and screw that holds it, in order for some free motion feet to fit correctly. I never use the thread cutter anyway; how sharp can it be after 50 or 60 years?

I don't know of any FMQ specific tutorials for the 301. The basic things apply to most machines.
    Remember to lower your presser foot.
    Hands slow, machine faster.
    Have fun!
    Old 10-08-2011, 06:44 PM

Thanks for the input. Where would I find the slant shank presser foot? Are there more than one style offered and do some have more advantage over others?
    Old 10-08-2011, 06:53 PM

I do, I have a Bernina and use both the free motion foot and walking foot. I've quilted small to full size quilts, it's all very doable.