Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How many of you quilt your own quilts? >
  • How many of you quilt your own quilts?

• How many of you quilt your own quilts?

Old 02-13-2011, 08:26 AM

Previously I would have said my favorite parts of quilting are picking the pattern and fabric...and having the quilt. Sharoney made all of mine. Now I'm starting to sew the tops myself, those still rank high, but I love sewing the panels together to see how the overall pattern is turning out. Maybe I'll actually quilt, when Sharoney gets tired of quilting them for me. Now that she's rockin' the sandwich, that may be a while.
    Old 02-13-2011, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by jzaaboo
    Previously I would have said my favorite parts of quilting are picking the pattern and fabric...and having the quilt. Sharoney made all of mine. Now I'm starting to sew the tops myself, those still rank high, but I love sewing the panels together to see how the overall pattern is turning out. Maybe I'll actually quilt, when Sharoney gets tired of quilting them for me. Now that she's rockin' the sandwich, that may be a while.
    Hey, welcome!!!! Watch yourself, it's s-o-o-o easy to spend alot of time here!
    Old 02-13-2011, 08:47 AM

I like all of the parts of quilting I just can't stop at one size and before long it is a queen or at least full size. Lap quilt seems to be too short or too narrow and before I know it there it is full or queen. Just enjoy.. I have a HQ16 and thinking about selling as I am having problems with my diabetic hands but time will tell.

Virginia
    Old 02-13-2011, 08:49 AM

Beautiful quilt and I would like to do as you and pick great colors. That is what makes me nervous, picking fabrics of the right colors.
    Old 02-13-2011, 09:02 AM

Hi everyone: I'm just about finished with my first ever quilt, a dresden plate baby quilt. I've done everything my self from picking out the material to the final quilting process. It's really ben quite a learning process and I surely could have used a machine with a larger opening than 6", it sure makes it hard to get to the middle blocks. I have enjoyed the hole process emenisly and can't wait to start my next one, probably a wall hanger. I will be posting picks of my baby quilt soon.
    Old 02-13-2011, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by sewhat540
    Beautiful quilt and I would like to do as you and pick great colors. That is what makes me nervous, picking fabrics of the right colors.
    My advice to you would be to just choose what you like. That's what I do.
    Old 02-15-2011, 02:23 AM

I quilt my own. I just feel that it is my project, and I should quilt it! That is half of the fun of making the quilt is getting to finish it.
    Old 02-15-2011, 02:33 AM

I like to do the whole thing, from plotting a new project, sizing the block to hand or machine piecing it. I sandwich it and then, usually hand quilt.

It does make my out put low in numbers, but I find it so therapeutic. And yes, a few do stay with me. But of those that have left home, I do have lovely photos to remind me and as they go to family or very good friends, I can visit.

Occasionaly, they visit me - a repair is needed!
    Old 02-15-2011, 10:13 AM

I hand-quilt the quilts I make. I enjoy doing it and it relaxes me.
    Old 02-16-2011, 06:05 PM

I have been qulting for 10 years & have always quilted my own (I thought that was the only way t do it when I started). Most of what I do are simple designs that can be quilted on my Janome to give away as gifts to friends, relatives & charities. I pay attention to details & the craftsanship so the end product is simple but beautiful ...plus many can't believe I did it. My favorite part of quiting is giving them away & while I am working on it thinking about the person who will get it.