Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How many of you quilt your own quilts? >
  • How many of you quilt your own quilts?

• How many of you quilt your own quilts?

Old 02-08-2011, 12:52 PM

I have always hand quilted mine! I have only sent one out, and that was a T-Shirt quilt that I totally botched and had to be baled out of a mess. Because it takes me so long to hand quilt, it seems that lately I have been doing baby or lap quilts. I'm ready to get back into bedsize quilts, so I am attempting to learn machine quilting. I still think I will attempt to get a hand quilted look with machine quilting. I'm not much for overall quilting. I like to enhance the design of each individual block. I guess it was the way I learned to quilt in the beginning, now over 30 years ago.
    Old 02-08-2011, 12:55 PM
    Power Poster

i quilt my own quilts, and many for others but hands down my favorite part is piecing. i love hand piecing, i love machine piecing, i love watching a block come together, i love THE PROCESS! :thumbup: and anything about quilting...but the actual act...that is so -fulfilling!
    Old 02-08-2011, 12:56 PM

I hand quilt my own quilts and take in quilting for others. I used to do a queen every six weeks, but have had to slow down with kids. Now I do one queen a quarter.
    Old 02-08-2011, 12:58 PM

I quilt ALL my quilts myself. Some are hand quilted, the rest machine quilted on my domestic sewing machine.

Years ago I sent out 2 bigger quilts to be done by a longarm quilter and they came back so stiff and hard (very poor quilting) that they could almost stand up by themselves. Even being washed repeatedly didn't help. Haven't been game to send out another...once bitten twice shy !
    Old 02-08-2011, 01:07 PM

I haven't done many, but have quilted them all either by hand or machine. I look at all the beautiful work done on a LA and wish for one, but doubt that will ever happen! I want all the work to be mine, however it is accomplished!!
    Old 02-08-2011, 01:18 PM

Guess I've only sent out 2 quilts to a LA (so far). Wish I could afford a LA myself as I'd love to "play" with one. I use my QE440. And agree the joy goes out on a bigger quilt.
    Old 02-08-2011, 01:21 PM

I have sent three quilt tops to my quilter who does the whole thing. Sandwishes, quilts and binds. I cannot manage hand sewing so I am very fortunate to have found her. However, I really do want to learn to FMQ on my home machine. I keep trying, but have not yet been successful. I manage to get the bobbin thread all jumbled up - its a real mess.
    Old 02-08-2011, 01:27 PM

I've done both for various reasons. The vast majority of all my work is done by me in terms of quilting, but every now and then I'll do a major work piecing that so so beautiful and I want some really intricate FMQ to enhance it, and its not the easiest to accomplish a king sized quilt of that nature without a LAQM on a frame. When I can get access to my friends, I will FMQ it on their LAQM but if I can't I'll send it off to be completed. Also I've had a few pieces that I've sent off to have hand quilted and so it just really depends on my goals, mood, budget and time constraints. Less than 15% of anything I've ever done has been sent off for completion. I consider it a rare treat! However, nothing will get sent off when I finally get my own LAQM, but that for now is on my "someday" list.

Explosive blessings, abundance and inspiration to you all!
    - The Creative Seamstress
    Old 02-08-2011, 01:28 PM

I quilt my own. I really enjoy the quilting part and hope to learn more designs and to get better. I can SID and meander fine, but want to learn to quilt feathers and other fancy designs. I have a few quilt tops done and ready to be sandwiched and quilted and plan to practice on them. If they aren't perfect, that is fine by me at this stage as I have only been quilting for less than a year. The one I am working on now is 106" square and, although the very center was somewhat difficult, it really wasn't that bad. You just have to stop from time to time and reposition the quilt so you don't have to pull on it.

Besides, I couldn't imagine adding the cost of quilting to each quilt...I'd just end up with a bunch of unusable tops! Plus, if I get really good, maybe, just maybe, I will be able to justify the cost of a longarm. And, if I get good enough with that, maybe, just maybe, I can make it pay for itself by quilting for others. (That's my dream, anyway! LOL)

Up until now, my least favorite part was sandwiching. But, thanks to azwendyg's great tutorial. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-91013-1.htm, I basted a quilt this past weekend in just a couple of hours and it was SEW EASY!!! I haven't quilted it yet, but am ready to get another quilt basted. All I can say is...Thank you, azwendyg!!!!

And another huge thank you to everyone here! I have learned so much and been inspired so much by all of you!
    Old 02-08-2011, 01:32 PM
    Power Poster

I've only sent one quilt out. Have FMQ or SID on my regular sewing machine several full size quilts and tons of little ones. Used to HQ, but find arthritis limits my stitching. Love to use a double needle and stitch across the diagonal of 9P for a quick job of quilting. The more FMQ you do, the better you become, so don't give up. And I have a long way to go in the FMQ game!
    Most of my quilts are my own designs--love that part as well as picking the fabrics. Expecially love pulling fabrics from different fabric lines as that's what makes my quilt unique.