Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How many of you quilt your own quilts? >
  • How many of you quilt your own quilts?

• How many of you quilt your own quilts?

Old 02-08-2011, 01:52 PM

I quilt all my own and DH's.

I would LOVE to hand quilt more - but just dont have time - I would never get enough pieces finished!

We are both completer Finishers - we only start a new quilt when we are stuck on one in progress - waiting for a new roll of batting or waiting to have enough money to go and buy the sheets to back them (we have four tops waiting for that at the moment!!! - with the pennies now saved they will be moved back into the 'work in progress' pile this weekend)

I love planning and picking fabric, My DH gets traumatised by this!

He doesn't mind cutting, I hate it - guess who does it in our house!

We both love to sew - although I am better at being a robot and doing hundres of a thing.....

We both hate layering up a quilt - I love to tack (baste the layers) DH does not!

I LOVE FMQ!!!!! And he is scared of it!

We both like making and sewing on binding - But I ABSOLUTELY LOVE to hand sew the binding on in the evening - watching a good film. BEST part about a quilt is seeing it all FINISHED OFF!!!!
    Old 02-08-2011, 01:57 PM

I enjoy quilting my own, as well as others........ the best part is picking out a design that compliments the quilt pattern..
    Old 02-08-2011, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by laurlync

Up until now, my least favorite part was sandwiching. But, thanks to azwendyg's great tutorial. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-91013-1.htm, I basted a quilt this past weekend in just a couple of hours and it was SEW EASY!!! I haven't quilted it yet, but am ready to get another quilt basted. All I can say is...Thank you, azwendyg!!!!
    I tried this link and it didn't work for me - then I tried searching the Member azwendyg and got nowhere - HELP - I am really interested in this!! Thanks!
    Old 02-08-2011, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by sharoney
    I'm just curious- because I love every aspect of quilt making-from planning, choosing and buying fabrics, and piecing. But my most favorite part is quilting! I can't wait to get the top finished (although I HATE the sandwiching part!) and get started FM quilting it! How many of you quilt your own quilts? And what's your favorite part of the quilt process?
    I do my own quilting whether it be by machine or hand. I can not afford to send them out to be quilted. I have a friend that pays over 250.00 to have one quilt done. I can use that money elsewhere. Rather than tie a quilt, I use decrative stitches that are on my machine, e.i., heart, flower, bar tack, etc. I have one on the frame right now that I am quilting and I have just finished one on the sewing machine. Good luck!!
    Old 02-08-2011, 02:27 PM

My longarm quilter does them all. My favorite quilting pattern is the small wishbone. I think I may try hand quilting someday, but no time in the near future :)
    Old 02-08-2011, 02:34 PM

I'm doing my own.....learning machine quilting now. I am getting better at meandering...not great but I see improvement and I can sid. I really want to learn other designs though. I can handquilt and that's what I started out doing. I'm doing good to be able to afford to quilt......there is just no extra to send one out to someone else.
    Old 02-08-2011, 02:38 PM

I quilt my own. Can you imagine Renoir painting a beautiful landscape and having someone else add a portrait to it? Now, my quilts aren't works of art but the idea is the same. It can only be truly yours if you did the work. Anything else is a team effort. There's nothing wrong with that at all if that's what you want. But it's not for me. The very first quilt I made was a king sized beast. I quilted it all on my little Janome. It wasn't easy but it was doable. My second quilt was just as big and it won a ribbon in the local show.
    Old 02-08-2011, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ladyjanedoe
    I quilt my own. Can you imagine Renoir painting a beautiful landscape and having someone else add a portrait to it? Now, my quilts aren't works of art but the idea is the same. It can only be truly yours if you did the work. Anything else is a team effort. There's nothing wrong with that at all if that's what you want. But it's not for me. The very first quilt I made was a king sized beast. I quilted it all on my little Janome. It wasn't easy but it was doable. My second quilt was just as big and it won a ribbon in the local show.
    agree!
    Old 02-08-2011, 02:43 PM

My favorite parts are the designing and binding--the beginning and the end! I quilt all of my own, which means it takes a while for me to complete them. Mostly I FMQ on an old vintage FW, although I do some hand quilted projects.
    Old 02-08-2011, 02:45 PM

No one puts a needle to my quilts but me. They are all mine from start to finish. Like you, I love most of the quilting process. The part I have always disliked has been the sandwiching. That is because I usually make large quilts. However, since I have joined a guild, I now like even that part since I have lots of help keeping the sandwich straight and with the pinning.