Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How many of you... >
  • How many of you...

• How many of you...

Old 11-10-2014, 04:50 AM

I just took two quilts to a LA on Friday. These are my second and third quilts ever that went this route. One is too big for my machine and I to handle and the other just needed a little something special to make it POP! I have not tied a quilt since I made a doll quilt years ago. Quilts are done on my domestic with some kind of meandering. (I just can't seem to get that stitch in the ditch thing to work for me.) I try to always have one small piece to hand quilt so I can perfect that skill.
    Old 11-10-2014, 08:33 AM

I took one queen sized quilt to an LA. Everything else I have done myself, unfortunately nothing looks as great as what the LA did. My problem is that I feel if I send it out to be quilted it was no longer done by me. Need to work on getting over this.
    Old 11-10-2014, 09:47 AM

I quilt all the tops I make. I enjoy all the steps in making a quilt (except basting). I have no interest in learning how to use a long arm because part of the attraction to quilting for me is the feel of the fabric/quilt in my hands. I don't see that I would get that same satisfaction by moving a long arm around. Even moving the quilt through the machine, I get to enjoy the therapy of feeling the fabric
    Old 11-10-2014, 12:40 PM

I have quilted all my quilts...both machine and hand quilting. I have a Husqvarna Mega Quilter machine with the frame. This was in my price range so I gave it a try. I know it is not equal to the high ended long arm quilting set-ups but for what I do I love it!! It is not computerized and I love guiding it myself. I enjoy all steps in making a quilt so am very happy I can quilt it also. Started off quilting on my DM and I applaud those folks who do it that way. I struggled each and every time trying to fit it under my machine!
    Old 11-10-2014, 02:53 PM

My mother doesn't like to piece very much, she prefers to hand quilt; I don't like to quilt very much and don't have room for a frame. Therefore I make tops and send them to her for hand quilting.
    Old 11-10-2014, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Quilting Grandma
    Wow, I guess I'm not a "quilter". I didn't realize that I can't claim it is "my quilt " if my friend "Bob the Quilter" quilts it for me.i love to piece, but find it too difficult to quilt large quilts. I did not realize that fellow quilters were so judgmental
    Quilting Grandma, I think those quilters saying it wasn't their own if someone else quilted it were just expressing their own personal feelings, not making judgments.
    Old 11-10-2014, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by gramajo
    Quilting Grandma, I think those quilters saying it wasn't their own if someone else quilted it were just expressing their own personal feelings, not making judgments.
    Certainly I did not mean to make any judgements, each to their own in their own we all love our quilts whichever way they are made.
    Old 11-10-2014, 05:23 PM

Isn't that the fun part of quilting? It is the fun part for me. If you do the piecing, I'll do your quilting. I've been piecing a quilt top for weeks now and starting to get antsy cause I like the quilting part.
    Old 11-10-2014, 09:10 PM

I do all my own quilting, but I have a longarm. I don't like hand work and I didn't like quilting with my DSM. I never considered the 4 quilts I made and had someone else quilt as any less than made by me, and as someone who does quilting for others, I really appreciate quilters who quilt by check!
    Old 11-11-2014, 01:44 AM

I have always hand quilted.