Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How many of you >
  • How many of you

• How many of you

Old 10-17-2010, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsapquilter
    My Mom taught me to sew at a fairly young age. Learning to embroider came first when I was about 6 years old. Then came 4-H club in grade school, home-ec in Jr. High. Then Mom had me making some of my own clothes. Later my older sister encouraged me to improve on my skills. Quilting did not come until I was married and had my family. I worked in a fabric store and became interested in the quilting. I did take alot of classes just because I enjoyed being with the other quilters. I lived in Alaska and those gals were so much fun to be with in class, plus we had some really good instructors there. I have to say I learned alot in the classes I took.
    I would like to add here that as a quilter I have been at it for about 20 years now but I am still learning everyday thanks to some of the great ideas on this board!!!
    Old 10-17-2010, 10:11 PM
    Power Poster

I learned how to quilt at Quilt in a Day by taking a class in making a Log Cabin Quilt. Their books are very detailed. Then I started buying more books and reading and trying.
    Old 10-17-2010, 10:25 PM

Originally self taught but am now able to attend a workshop or class to learn new techniques if I need to.
    Old 10-18-2010, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Riversong
    Self taught,but started by watching Eleanor Burns on PBS years ago..
    Me to she is the best teacher
    Old 10-18-2010, 02:01 AM

I never took any classes. But just like many of you, I had home ec in high school, watched most of the quilting shows on tv, purchased alot of books and magazines on quilting. I have never actually completed a quilt, but have made many a quilt block. If it is needlework, it is like eye candy to me.
    Old 10-18-2010, 02:17 AM

Self taught here. No classes, only the great information I have received from a friend and mostly on here. I started by sewing large blocks and finishing by hand.... rather sad, but I am proud of them. Moved on to pieceing after a short lesson from a good buddy of mine. She is awesome.... Then I found this great group... I eagerly look forward to this email and all the tips. Thanks, you are a great group of quilters!!!
    Old 10-18-2010, 02:40 AM

I am self taught too. Thank goodness for Television and the Simply quilts programs. As well as the Quilting Bible and other magazines as well as friends and the LQS ladies who are continuing to help me with their opinion, so I do not make a wrong cut. I love applique and have gotten into the habit of buying large flower and leaf prints so the picture looks more realistic.
    Old 10-18-2010, 03:05 AM

I'm self-taught. I have taken some seminars through my sewing machine dealer, but usually know as much as the teacher, if not more. Actually have never taken a quilting class; just embroidery machine stuff.
    Old 10-18-2010, 03:05 AM

I used to watch Alex Anderson when she was on HGTV and I learned a lot from her. I read a lot of quilting magazines too. Then I give it my best shot!
    Old 10-18-2010, 03:17 AM

Self taught for the first 15-20 years, then myself and a friend started a quilt grild. Now, I take any class I can find. We had our annual quilt retreat this weekend and had two sisters from Kansas come and teach us to do bobbin work. OH what a fun; thing to learn.
    Also online at www.quiltuniversity.com If you haven't checked out that site it has classes starting every week from January to November. They take December off to update computers etc.
    Books are a wonderful source of new ideas also. Check your library for quilt books, you can also request they inter library loan quilt books they do not have.
    We are so fortunate to have all the good quilt magazines available to us. 43 years ago there were none. Then Quilters Newsletter started in 1969, information coming to the mailbox every couple months. It was heaven. Now there are so many its hard to choose.
    Saw Eleanor Burns in Iowa at the AQS show last week. She is a hoot. Actually saw her sister Pat locally with a trunk show last month. Her sister was married to a guy(he has passed away) from a town about 30 miles east of us, so she gets back for family things and brings a trunk show with her.